Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Posts Trial
Recommended Posts Trial
Some of you may have noticed the new "Thumb Up" icon - [Image: postbit_thx.gif] - under each post (next to "Reply"). This is a new trial feature that we are testing to see if it takes. By clicking the icon, you "recommend" the post, and your name goes into a list of people who have recommended the same post.

The idea of the feature is to act like a reputation system, but for posts. This way, you can give multiple reps to the same person if you like their posts. The number of recommendations a post has is listed under the post itself, and the total number a person has gained is in their profile.

After you make the recommendation, the icon turns to a "thumb down" icon - [Image: postbit_unthx.gif] - and clicking this (you guessed it) removes your recommendation.

So please leave feedback on this system, and we will see if it takes.
RE: Recommended Posts Trial
EV is abusing it!! Negative rep!! Wink
Abusing it? Using it when you think a post needs a thumbs up...that's the whole point yeah?

How would 'abusing it' be defined or moderated?

EvF
If you don't know what abusing it would mean then that suggests you have no limits. /jk

I find the Christian forums 'blessing' system hillarious Big Grin Some of those posters have billions of the suckers LMAO! Is there an atheist alternative to 'blessing'??
Well I think perhaps the secular alternative to being 'blessed' is perhaps being 'fortunate'....

But I don't know how that would work???

I suggested Kudos system rather than thumbs up. Cos I like it because it's short and sweet lol.

EvF
(August 26, 2009 at 7:38 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Is there an atheist alternative to 'blessing'??

No there isn't.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Fr0d0,

I use bless too. It really just means formal approval. It usually has religious connotations but if I get a good job I consider it a blessing from that company. They DID approve of me, ergo, I am blessed.

Rhizo
Forgot to mention in the original post, but I've also added a "rate" button next to the PM button on people's posts, so you can give them reputation inline (button opens a popup window).
Yeah that's good.
Very cool addition Big Grin
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spam Detection (READ THIS IF YOUR POSTS KEEP DISAPPEARING) Tiberius 14 6201 July 28, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Disappearing Posts -- Information Shell B 0 1435 October 31, 2011 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Looking for Blog Posts on Atheism Shell B 52 17823 August 13, 2011 at 10:30 am
Last Post: DaveD
  Forum Bug: Disappearing Posts Tiberius 1 1538 August 12, 2011 at 3:45 am
Last Post: Violet
  Editing / Deleting Posts Tiberius 29 11496 August 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Recommended Posts Update Tiberius 27 9953 September 8, 2009 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Samson