Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Self-Assembling Molecules Offer New Clues on Life's Possible Origin
Self-Assembling Molecules Offer New Clues on Life's Possible Origin
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/20...ffer-.html

Quote:A pair of RNA-like molecules can spontaneously assemble into gene-length chains, chemists in the United States and Spain report. Billions of years ago, related molecules may have created a rudimentary form of genetic information that eventually led to the evolution of RNA and life itself, the researchers say.
[...]

"The nice thing [about the current study] is this is a demonstration of self-assembly in water," says Ramanarayanan Krishnamurthy, an origin of life chemist at the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego, California. "That is a step in the right direction."

The next step, Hud says, will be to see whether this two-component assembly can be made to encode information like a primitive gene and to evolve toward the structure of RNA. If so, that still won't settle the debate as to whether CA and TAPAS gave life its start. But it will suggest one plausible chemical route to life's origin.
RE: Self-Assembling Molecules Offer New Clues on Life's Possible Origin
Ramanarayanan Krishnamurthy? That's a name and a half.
hmmm.... I guess it's a full name.
http://www.scripps.edu/california/resear...shnamurthy
(February 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Ramanarayanan Krishnamurthy? That's a name and a half.

I'm glad its complicated. It will drive the creatards crazy trying to spell it.
More evidence for abiogenesis (which is not the same as evolution). No surprise there, and yet creationists still claim it's impossible.
Thank you for the interesting article.
I found it very informative.
(February 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Finn Wrote: More evidence for abiogenesis (which is not the same as evolution). No surprise there, and yet creationists still claim it's impossible.
No, they don't. They aren't satisfied with the notion that their god is a biological entity (by and large)- life, even in their fairy tale, comes from non-life. Of course, a more accurate view of abiogenesis as it relates to science is that it is a hypothesis that states that life arises by means of a natural process from organic compounds - I can think of a couple of creation myths that don't escape this - so I never understood what they were bitching about anyway. Clots of blood and dirt both contain plenty of organic compounds - for example. It just boils down, imho, to their god not being invited to some party.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Lol. Self-assembled, spontaneously. There is a law of cause and effect...
It's understood (and need not be stated) by those who don't default to ghosts that when we say something "self assembles" or "spontaneously occurs" it is taken to mean without top down directives or intervention. These things don't cease to conform to our mundane world and become magical in the act - they do these things precisely because- they have conformed to our mundane world and it's clockwork like ticking away-at their level.

Understand?

When you say "nothing in the universe happens by itself" in response to an article about self replicating molecules I'm tempted to say "shh, the adults are speaking".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer BrianSoddingBoru4 0 271 March 21, 2022 at 4:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2260 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When your self is expressed in a single webpage. . . bennyboy 9 1092 April 15, 2019 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2296 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The return of the the complex organic molecules! ScienceAf 0 487 September 15, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue? Whateverist 37 6139 October 21, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  What would happen/Is it possible Heat 17 2788 October 20, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum TubbyTubby 6 2350 March 19, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Protiens assembling themselves Surgenator 8 1463 January 3, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Cave art discovery in Indonesia force rethink of origin of art. Anomalocaris 20 4578 October 11, 2014 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus