Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a former Baptist
Hello from a former Baptist
Hello. I joined this site to get support as I complete my "coming out" from religion. I was raised in a Baptist church, and we went to church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, and any other night something was going on. The days we weren't at church were spent with people that went to our church, or someone who had similar views. Baptist religion was all I knew. I was even homeschooled through middle and high school after attending a Christian school through 6th grade. I was around religion all the time, and I felt no reason to question anything. I wish I questioned things sooner, but I am glad to have a lot of my life ahead of me to live religion free.

I started questioning religion after my brother in law started questioning my beliefs. I started looking at sites like evil bible and God is imaginary.com. I read 'Biblical Nonsense' as well. Even though I was in church and even tried to read my bible, I never saw the contradictions or evil things contained in the bible. Now, I can't believe that anyone could possibly believe in a book that has so many stories about soldiers keeping virgins for themselves, a God that kills for ridiculous reasons, and other passages - like Ezekiel 23. In addition to the glaring lack of evidence of anything supernatural in the world.

This has been somewhat of a painful process for me. I will pretty much be losing any friends that I have. I will be starting over to a certain extent. But, I have kids, and I don't want them to have to grow up under religion the way I did. I have not totally cut off from my church. I think that will happen soon though.

I am looking forward to getting to know some people through this site - hopefully even some people who have been through a similar situation. I wouldn't mind hearing some stories of coming out from religion to very religious family members. I look forward to the support as well, from more people who share my lack of belief.
RE: Hello from a former Baptist
Welcome from a German atheist!

Yes a GERMAN atheist. In the brief time in which watched christian american media I have oftern heard lines such as "without atheism no Hitler" "Hitler was atheist" "nazis were atheists"

So I might be a bit of a chock for you as a former baptist. Tongue
Welcome!
Haha. A lot of what Americans believe is tainted by religion. Since I have been looking into atheism, it is amazing to me how much of what I was taught simply is not true.
[Image: th?id=H.4583796176520278]

Glad they let you up in time.

Welcome.
Hi! Welcome!

I don't know if this helps, but I come from a very religious family and I never actually "came out" or made any kind of announcement. Instead, I let it just sort of emerge with time. Like I would bring up interesting scientific stuff at dinner, or for example, I asked my family to tune in to the skeptic podcast I started with my roommate. I wouldn't say they exactly approve of my atheism, but no one has shunned me either. With my family and friends, I treated my non-belief as just something about me, and no big deal. If it's a possibility for you, I would go that way. It reduces the shock factor, IMO.
(February 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: th?id=H.4583796176520278]

Glad they let you up in time.

Welcome.

Haha -glad they let me up as well.

(February 12, 2013 at 9:07 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Hi! Welcome!

I don't know if this helps, but I come from a very religious family and I never actually "came out" or made any kind of announcement. Instead, I let it just sort of emerge with time. Like I would bring up interesting scientific stuff at dinner, or for example, I asked my family to tune in to the skeptic podcast I started with my roommate. I wouldn't say they exactly approves of my atheism, but no one has shunned me either. With my family and friends, I just treated my non-belief as just something about me, and no big deal. If it's a possibility for you, I would go that way. It reduces the shock factor, IMO.

I honestly would love for that to be an option. And it might be for a short period. But I was very involved in the church attend. I have given up many responsibilities. However, it will be a big deal to family members when I walk away. I will have to confront the issue at that point.
Quote:I will have to confront the issue at that point.

If you are in the bible belt you could try wearing an Obama T-Shirt. They'll be so pissed about that they won't care that you're an atheist.
Yeah... it doesn't really work for everyone. I was always resistant to church and religion anyway, so no one was surprised when they realized I was a non-believer. Sorry about that. And good luck to you.
Hello and welcome from me too!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Former JW Athena 41 3448 July 7, 2019 at 5:17 am
Last Post: veoli
  former theist turned rational thinker thatoneguyyouknow 18 3830 March 26, 2014 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Hi, former pentecostal here Roger Mellie 23 3075 July 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Raven
  Former Roman Catholic Here Sagasa 24 6255 March 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Former Pentecostal Christian Fruity 28 5945 February 27, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Fruity
Video Message From A Former Muslim apostasin 10 3694 July 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Former agnostic, now Christian lucent 96 49671 September 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Former Athiest clipse26i 40 13790 July 25, 2011 at 9:46 am