Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new user - from the country far north
A new user - from the country far north
Hey everybody.

I'm an 18 year old man from Norway. I'm so happy I've finally found a forum that's perfect for me. The rather few Scandinavian Atheist forums are to small, so I though it would be great to take part of that awesome community. I'll try to be active, and write many posts.

Uhm, well, I feel I have to be a member of an English-speaking forum, not only because there are few Scandinavian forums (there are a lot of atheists in Scandinavia), but it's still recieve much criticism, and that gets me so mad.

Finally, a place were I can discuss with my fellow Atheist brothers.

If you got any questions, I'll be happy to reply them.

(Oh, and I'm sorry for my bad English)
RE: A new user - from the country far north
Welcome to the forum Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome to these forums Big Grin

I hope you enjoy your time here Smile

EvF
You are most welcome! I happen to be interested in the Scandinavian lands. I'd like to move up there someday.

Anyway, feel free to jump in and start threads/replies to posts ect ect. I look forward to reading your future posts. Big Grin

Ace
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I thought you were going to be a geordie! Big Grin

Yup Scandinavia is a great place Smile

Welcome!
According to the statistics that I have read Norway, as well as many other countries throughout the world, do have a higher percentage of people who proclaim atheism. Here in the States we are constantly subjected to fanatics who would, if given the opportunity, turn this country into a dark-ages-style xtian theocracy in a hummingbird's heartbeat. Atheists in the USA are, according to a University of Minnesota survey, the most feared and hated group of people.

Perhaps we American Atheists need forums such as this one more than they do in Norway. Thus the greater level of attraction.

I do believe that attitudes toward atheism are changing as a result of people such as Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, and the like as well as the internet. It seems so in my general life and recent statistics have shown a growing number of atheists in the USA. On the flip side to that xtian fundies have become more reactionary and vicious. Something I never thought possible after Falwell created the 'moral majority' back in the late 70s. They've always been buggy as a flop-house blanket and dumb as a bucket of rat piss but they have become a little more armed and dangerous lately.

Welcome -- I'm new here too.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.
I think sweden's population is 85% non-religious. I'm not sure about norway but I assume they have about the same percentage of non-believers. Must be nice living up there with almost no religion around. Not many believers here in my town (Loughton, England). Only a small group of people actually believe in god.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Välkommen till forumet! Synd bara att du är norsk, annars hade man kanske varit glad att ha en skandinav här Tongue

Anyway the numbers you have Ace isn't entirly correct. According to a study, which I found in wikipedia, did 23% say that they belived in a God. 50% said that they believed in a spirit or life force and 23 % said that they neither believed in a God or any kind of life force. Otherwise is there no real statstic that says how many atheists there are in Sweden, or any study made by swedes.

Norway have: 32%, 47% adn 17% on the same questions above.

But I don't know how much you can trust these numbers.
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
Welcome! Good to see more people from Scandinavian countries joining.
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
Hey UpNorth! Big Grin

It's a pleasure to have you join in! I hope you get to learn as much as I have in this forum...it's a real eye-opener, I tell ya!
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AF User Map! wolf39us 142 50324 June 8, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New user, recent deconvert Lucian 5 781 September 9, 2022 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Jeff Bradt, user since 2013, becoming active JP Bradt 42 6091 March 15, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 950 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New User Baddogma 21 2083 July 23, 2019 at 7:41 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  what is you country is anyone from pakistan logicNartman 20 1712 July 11, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
Big Grin New user! Fox 23 4260 September 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  From the only predominantly super-Catholic country in Asia Quartz 10 2779 July 4, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  An atheist to the bone from another country rado84 52 4705 July 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Catholic user here CleanShavenJesus 31 7601 February 13, 2013 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Anymouse