Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!
Hi!
Hello there!

First of all, I've been reading many introduction posts and they are all very interesting. I'm fascinated by all of these "deconversion" stories.

*Disclaimer: I am not an atheist, but please do not be discouraged by that - PLEASE KEEP READING!*

I was born and raised Catholic, surrounded by a Catholic family, and I am still Catholic. I'm not here because I'm starting to question my faith - I would say I'm pretty solid in my faith base - but I'm here because I am genuinely interested in atheism and what it entails. From reading introduction posts, it appears that atheism can mean something different for each person who practices it (although I'm not sure if one can call it a "practice," seeing as the basis of atheism is not practicing any religion at all?).

I hinted at it before but I'll say it again - I'm not here to attack anyone, or to try to convert anyone. Although I'm Catholic, I've never really believed in evangelization. I know that evangelization is what caused Catholicism to become so widely practiced, but especially in this day and age I find it a somewhat disrespectful practice. I believe each person should be able to practice whatever religion they choose, or not practice any religion at all; no one should try to cross that boundary.

A few things about me: I'm not an avid Bible reader. Maybe I should be better versed on the Bible, but frankly I'm not. I support the rights of gay people to marry each other, even though some old-school Catholics don't. I also don't have a traditional "super pro-life" stance on abortion (I haven't really taken a stance on the issue yet, but I lean more towards pro-choice). Although I've tried to get into it, I have never liked Christian rock music and probably never will. It's boring, and something about Christian music is just so over the top to me. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for a good traditional church song (only at church though. I mean, I don't put that stuff on my iPod is what I'm saying).

I hope that wasn't too boring and I hope I haven't upset anyone. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not a super traditional Catholic, and, like I said before, I am not here to attack or convert anyone.

The day after Christmas this year, my grandmother passed away. I don't know how I would have been able to get through it without knowing she was in a better place up in heaven not suffering anymore, and knowing I would someday see her again. However, I couldn't help but wonder: how would an atheist deal with this? How does an atheist deal with death? Who do they look to for support? (To the atheists reading this, these questions aren't posed in order to undermine your beliefs; they are genuine inquiries.)

Since I am interested in what it means to be an atheist, may I ask what it means to you (lovely reader) personally to be an atheist? From reading some of these posts, many people base their atheism off of their hate for a specific religion, typically the religion they had a "falling out" with. I am curious to know if that is the case with most people or if, like I questioned earlier, atheism is just different for each person.

To those of you that stuck around to read my whole message, a sincere thank you. I have a brother majoring in Religious Studies, specializing in Interfaith Dialogue. He, along with many other religious leaders, maintains that atheism is an extremely important part of interfaith dialogue. I genuinely hope to have the opportunity to hear from some of you about what atheism means to you, and hopefully to be able to have some dialogues with some of you.

One more time... I am NOT here to attack anyone! I hope that by coming to this forum I can develop a better grasp on the concept of atheism. I also hope to get responses from some of you with answers to questions I posed.

Peace and love!
-sykedout
RE: Hi!
I think for most of us, atheism (defined in this context as a lack of belief in a god) is a search for the truth.

In my case, I look at our world and see all of the damage that religion has done. I see otherwise intelligent people spouting the most ridiculous things. I see our children being indoctrinated. I see wars and killing and jihad and intolerence and mysoginistic societies.

Personally, I think religion in general is the single most destructive force on our planet.

I would like to live to see the end of religion. Won't happen, but maybe if I pray about it real hard...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
Welcome, as I said to rayaan, thread lightly, there is a pool of fierce sharks beneath you.

Enjoy the forums BTW Big Grin
Welcome aboard, I look forward to reading what you may want to share with us.

If I could just address the question you posed, regarding how an atheist deals with the loss of a loved one: there are a number of us here, myself included, who have experienced just such a loss. As far as I'm concerned, I would be among the first to wish that the comforting promises of religious faith were true and I can absolutely see how religions that make these promises can be overwhelmingly attractive. Since I don't share those beliefs, not least because the people who make claims about them are in no better position to do so than I am, the only resources to which I can turn are myself, as in my inner strengths, and friends/family who love me enough to want to support me. That I find beautiful and much more helpful, inasmuch as anything can be, than pious platitudes however well-intentioned. However, should a person find such things helpful to them, I wouldn't seek to take away that support. It's not like I stand outside funerals pointing and laughing or anything - not in this weather, anyway. My dream, as Baalzebutt already expressed, is that one day we as a society no longer need to rely on what I regard as fairytale sugar to help the medicine go down.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hello and WelcomeSmile

Atheism is new to me, so I don't really have a grasp on what it is or what it means for my life quite yet. I just know me, and I know that I can no longer justify believing in the god of the bible, or any god for that matter. So I am searching for what there is proof of. Without bias, I will read anything and everything so long as it has a legitimate claim--no matter the ramifications. I used to believe that god is Truth. Now I know, that without proof for god I cannot justify believing he is the truth. So I will seek it through the evidence, and see where that leads me.

As for dealing with the death of a loved one.. I'm sorry you lost your grandma, I'd be overwhelmingly sad too.
As I have yet to face a family members' death as an athiest, I have no idea how that would go! I do know that my own grandparents committed suicide when I was little, and as a believer I was horrified that they would be in hell for eternity after that. Now that my beliefs have changed on the matter, I am less horrified by the whole situation. I don't regularly obsess about my family member's spiritual well being anymore which has helped me a lot to focus on mine. I'm not sure if there is a god, or a spirit. But I'm going to assume there isn't until I find reason to believe that there is. For me, man-written words are not reason to believe anymore. With regards to my family: I enjoy them when I'm with them, and I'm not so victimized with worry about where we go when we die and what will happen to them.
I actually feel better about death, now. Oddly enough.

Welcome to the forums and good luck in whatever you're searching forSmile Don't mind the crabby athiests, they just deal with a Lot of self righteous zealots. Tongue
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
I have a rampant drug addiction to heroin thats helped me overcome fears of death, just kidding.

I just tend to not think about it, i consider myself lucky that im alive now because most people have already died, just listen to the song by the blue oyster cult, dont fear the reaper.
I dont think religion helps people deal with death either really you never see a christian or muslim smiling at a guy whos dying patting them on the back saying "you lucky bastard, about to go to heaven, grrrrrr i wish i was as close to dying as you"

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Quote:A few things about me: I'm not an avid Bible reader. Maybe I should be better versed on the Bible, but frankly I'm not. I support the rights of gay people to marry each other, even though some old-school Catholics don't. I also don't have a traditional "super pro-life" stance on abortion (I haven't really taken a stance on the issue yet, but I lean more towards pro-choice).

So, you are exactly what JPII was talking about?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987...hurch-pope

Quote:LOS ANGELES — In the most dramatic exchange of his U.S. visit, Pope John Paul II on Wednesday traded views with American bishops on the sensitive topics of church authority, morality, priestly celibacy and treatment of women.

The bishops warned the pope that the church may be falling out of step with the times, and the future health of its American branch could be in danger unless leaders in the Vatican adjust to changes in society.

But the pontiff, holding firmly to his often stated views, urged the 300 bishops attending the private meeting to stick to ''the dogmatic and moral teaching of the church'' and leave the rest to God.

And as if that weren't clear enough, John Paul stressed ''the inacceptabilty of dissent and confrontation'' in making church policy.

''Dissent from Church doctrine remains what it is -- dissent,'' the pope said. ''As such, it may not be proposed or received on an equal footing with the Church's authentic teaching.''

Among other things, the 67-year-old pope reaffirmed church doctrine on the unacceptability of artificial birth control, stated flatly that ''women are not called to the priesthood,'' and blasted the tendency of some Catholics to be selective about which church teachings they follow.

Why continue to profess belief in something you have rejected?
Oh not to worry about not being an atheist, wolves don't like other wolves coming into their territory after all. They much prefer rabbits *cute face*

I joke, welcome to the forum, hope you like it here, try to be as intellectually aggressive as possible, okay Smile
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
(February 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm)sykedout Wrote: How does an atheist deal with death?

Personally, I know that everyone I love and like will eventually die, so I make the most of the time I have with them.

Quote:Since I am interested in what it means to be an atheist, may I ask what it means to you (lovely reader) personally to be an atheist?

It only means to be without gods. It doesn't say much at all. Who I am as a person has very little to do with me being an atheist.

Quote:One more time... I am NOT here to attack anyone! I hope that by coming to this forum I can develop a better grasp on the concept of atheism.

Chill out, you don't have to be an atheist in order to join. Au contraire, we have quite a few theists that have become part of our odd little family. That being said;

Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Atheist is a blanket term that covers a bucket load of ideologies, just like theist. If you wanted to declare theism then you could use a similar come back.

How do you know that your Gran is in heaven? Did she have a get out of hell free card?

My family aren't theists. None of them. I don't know if my dad is in heaven. I have a superstitious idle thought that dead people hang around, but in reality I just accept that dead people just die.

Welcome. Catholics are rare. There's a lot of hatred stored up for you guys. No one has appeared in four years with a flame proof jacket thick enough I think. And this place is nice to theists.