Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are you ethics based on
what are you ethics based on
deontological or teleological ethic based?
and what makes that a better choice.
RE: what are you ethics based on
Here's a hint...always include a "none of the above" option.

Angel
My ethics, if they can be called that, are based primarily on empathy with other beings. Whether this is universal, common, or relatively unique I have no idea. I only know that I am 'cursed' with seeing and feeling things from someone else's perspective. Combine that with a genuine desire not to cause deliberate harm and the result is the artist formerly - and currently - known as Stimbo. Clearly I'm going to regard it as the better choice, since it works for me as much as it does everyone with whom I interact.

Note that I used the word 'beings' and not 'people'; that was a deliberate choice, since my empathy tends to extend to non-human animals as well. Though if you're a spider, you'd be far better off nowhere near me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 20, 2013 at 11:59 pm)justin Wrote: deontological or teleological ethic based?

A combination of the two. What makes it a better is that while there are general, broad principles to be followed, their applicability cannot be absolute for all situations - thus making it more suitable for this world.

(February 21, 2013 at 1:16 am)Stimbo Wrote: My ethics, if they can be called that, are based primarily on empathy with other beings. Whether this is universal, common, or relatively unique I have no idea. I only know that I am 'cursed' with seeing and feeling things from someone else's perspective. Combine that with a genuine desire not to cause deliberate harm and the result is the artist formerly - and currently - known as Stimbo. Clearly I'm going to regard it as the better choice, since it works for me as much as it does everyone with whom I interact.

Note that I used the word 'beings' and not 'people'; that was a deliberate choice, since my empathy tends to extend to non-human animals as well. Though if you're a spider, you'd be far better off nowhere near me.

So, deonotlogical then?
Probably. Whatever it is seems to work without labels, but if that one fits I can live with it. Cool Shades
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I've taken the golden rule to the next step. Instead of doing for others, what I would want, I try to do for them what they want/need.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(February 20, 2013 at 11:59 pm)justin Wrote: deontological or teleological ethic based?

More a combination, I do believe that out of utilitarism and it`s results principles can be found. Yet I do believe that utilitarism shouldnt infringe individual rights.

I guess a modern citizen of the world cannot suscribe to one of these philosophical schools alone.
(February 21, 2013 at 1:32 am)Kayenneh Wrote: I've taken the golden rule to the next step. Instead of doing for others, what I would want, I try to do for them what they want/need.
Do they need a slap sometimes?

.. joking.. I know you meant that you try to be even nicer to them Wink
I base my ethics on empathy, need & convenience. Not looking to win any badges so I can afford to play it by ear. I'll try my best not to become a psychotic killer but I'm not making any promises.
(February 21, 2013 at 4:02 am)whateverist Wrote: I base my ethics on empathy, need & convenience. Not looking to win any badges so I can afford to play it by ear. I'll try my best not to become a psychotic killer but I'm not making any promises.

Does Schopenhauer`s "ethics of compassion" apply for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog%27s_dilemma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer#Ethics

Quote:Schopenhauer's moral theory proposed that only compassion can drive moral acts. According to Schopenhauer, acts of compassion eye only the good of the object of the acts, that is, they cannot be inspired by either the prospect of personal utility or the feeling of duty. Mankind can also be guided by egoism and malice. Egotistic acts are those guided by self-interest, desire for pleasure or happiness. Schopenhauer believed most of our deeds belong to this class. Acts of malice are different from egotistic acts. As in the case of acts of compassion, these do not target personal utility. Their aim is to cause damage to others, independently of personal gains.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1184 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Are all actions in life based on interest only"? WinterHold 38 2786 April 16, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 3763 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Ethics Disagreeable 44 3896 March 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: deepend
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1844 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1114 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 17935 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8681 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 5077 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Compatibility Of Three Approachs To Ethics Edwardo Piet 18 3152 October 2, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa