Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 7:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please let it sink!
Please let it sink!
I just read this right now.
The millionaire Clive Palmer is rebuilding the Titanic to take it on a journey to New York.
Besides seeing it being a complete waste of money I just cant help but wish for it to sink Tongue

the article I read is unfortunatly in german:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/mill...85758.html
RE: Please let it sink!
Waste of money? He could make a killing out of this. Would be a tad awkward if it sinks again though.

This was on the news like a year ago when he first announced he wanted to do this Smile
Who the fuck is stupid enough to get on that thing? I'm not a huge believer in bad luck. Okay, I don't believe in it at all, but it is a replica of a really shitty design. I hope they have the brains to fix the design flaws.
And next week some random German will rebuild the Hindenburg
(February 26, 2013 at 9:12 pm)Shell B Wrote: Who the fuck is stupid enough to get on that thing? I'm not a huge believer in bad luck. Okay, I don't believe in it at all, but it is a replica of a really shitty design. I hope they have the brains to fix the design flaws.

Not really as stupid as the idiot who is building a "replica" of noah's fucking ark...well, replica except for the steel barges!

But you know what. It will be good enough to fool xtians. They'll flock to it like lemmings.
Actually, enormous care was taken to ensure Olympic-class liners were the safest ships at sea at that time. What we might regard as design flaws in hindsight had pretty sound reasoning behind them. The two major factors in the sinking were the failure of the 'watertight' compartments and the insufficient lifeboat complement.

Titanic was designed to remain afloat with any two of her sixteen compartments open to the sea, any three of the first five, or the first four. The iceberg sliced her hull and breached five compartments, an eventuality that at the time was unheard of. This is not to mention that such a compartment is only as watertight as its construction allows; Titanic's compartments had electrically-actuated doors to seal them off from each other. The presence of those doors might be called a design flaw but as a passenger liner, both passengers and crew need unrestricted access to all parts of the vessel. The public spaces took up large areas of the ship and so the doors were incorporated into the design to facilitate these requirements. Eventually, even under ideal conditions, such an arrangement will inevitably fail. Even that wasn't regarded as a problem, for the same reasons as the next point.

She carried sixteen rigid lifeboats and four collapsibles, twenty in all. This may seem inadequate and history bears that out, but it's important to bear in mind that the liner herself was intended to be her own lifeboat. The part of the ocean she was crossing was heavily and regularly served by ships of various companies, so the amount of time passengers and crew were expected to wait before rescue was, ideally, so short that it was regarded more of a risk to take to the sea in an open boat than to remain on board in relative safety. That's why, before the true nature of the danger was realised, the boats that were launched were half-laden at most. Indeed, for these reasons and others, Titanic was well within the Board of Trade regulations for a ship of her class. Many were actually of the opinion that she carried too many lifeboats.

What sealed her fate, apart from the missed or ignored ice warnings and the iceberg itself (which Titanic did not hit - in fact she was manouevred to avoid a collision and barely scraped its edge, in the manner of a tin opener), was the negligence of the Leyland line steamer Californian, at around ten miles to the North the closest ship by far. Had she responded to Titanic's distress rockets and Morse lamp, even (as regulations insisted) to investigate if there was any doubt as to their nature; had Evans, her wireless operator, even been woken to enquire about the matter; had the clockwork amplifier of her wireless equipment not wound down, giving radio silence to the untrained ear; most if not all of the lives would have been saved long before the RMS Carpathia arrived and rescued all those who were rescued.

Sorry that this has been so long. It's rather a pet subject of mine.

Material added with edit.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I'm sure as long as no one says "God himself could not sink this ship!" again, it'll be fine XD
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
War, starvation, global economic calapse, etc and this douchebag decide ehh fuck it lets rebuild a really big ship that sank once already. I have a idea. how about if it is called gods ship or whatever gets the religious panties wet and let them get on it. when it sinks we can be another ship just shouting distance and start screaming "quick pray, remember god loves you and he works in mysterious ways". Then when they beg for help just say "would love to but i am atheist and we don`t have any morals". then drive off in our smaller but more safer (and rationally filled ) boat.
Quote:War, starvation, global economic calapse, etc and this douchebag decide ehh fuck it lets rebuild a really big ship that sank once already.

It's what rich douchebags do. Hell...at least this fuck actually would be a job creator!
(February 27, 2013 at 1:14 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:War, starvation, global economic calapse, etc and this douchebag decide ehh fuck it lets rebuild a really big ship that sank once already.

It's what rich douchebags do. Hell...at least this fuck actually would be a job creator!

so would investment into hospitals, labratories for reasearch in medicine, and colleges etc etc. priorities suck at the end of the day.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's all go to the moooooovies no one 2 63 April 27, 2024 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Should I let strangers on the net make life decisions for me? Fake Messiah 5 810 October 22, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Your thoughts on the following topics please! (for academic purposes) -Harvard ignoramus 13 755 July 24, 2020 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Spell your last name please.... Brian37 9 1572 October 12, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Let's Make Questionaires Great Again The Valkyrie 19 2031 April 16, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Chicken Salad Sandwich on toast, please... Gawdzilla Sama 6 599 November 21, 2017 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Please help! I'm struggling with my atheism! ignoramus 5 627 November 3, 2017 at 6:53 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  please be careful. grandma is Google searching! ignoramus 22 2949 March 3, 2017 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Joods
  Let's keep the XXX in Xmas. Gawdzilla Sama 23 3425 December 27, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Let's be funny Excited Penguin 17 2410 October 5, 2016 at 2:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah