Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seth MacFarlane Oscars Controversy
Seth MacFarlane Oscars Controversy
So I don't know if any of you watched the Oscars, I sure didn't. But I did hear afterwards about the controversy surrounding host Seth MacFarlane because of his jokes about many celebrities, as well as this little number.

So there have been a few people claiming that that song, along with his jokes, were sexist and have been decrying what he has said. What are your thoughts?
RE: Seth MacFarlane Oscars Controversy
Didnt watch it.

I would watch it if they would let Rickey Gervais do the show.
Seth MacFarlane is a comic genius, and certainly not a sexist, just as he is not a racist yet has numerous racist jokes in his TV shows. He tells the jokes that are funny, and doesn't shy away from jokes that make a lot of people laugh but some (the minority) get outraged over.
I really love Charlize Theron's face (0:43)
I could not possibly care less about the fucking oscars.
The people he named seemed happy enough to take the money for showing their boobs. Did they think no-one would notice? It's a bit like posting things on the internet; if it's going to embarrass you, don't do it (and yes I know I'm guilty of this as well, I took the hypocritical oath when I joined the Civil Service). If it's embarrassing enough, Seth MacFarlane might just come along and honour you in song.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think they should have known that there was bound to be controversy in the first place because well...it IS Seth McFarlane. What episode of Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show, etc hasn't had some joke that probably offended someone, haha? But, I think his jokes are funny because he says whatever he wants to say.
This is all that you are worried about?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 28, 2013 at 9:59 am)plaincents Wrote:

They should have had boobs up on the big screen to accompany the song. Either that or topless dancers.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I guess I understand why some people took offense, but seriously. It's Seth MacFarlane. Duh! Of course it's gonna be controversial!

I think people were missing the irony in the Boobs song. I thought it was hysterical.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Seth brings Jon Snow to a dinner party *Deidre* 2 566 July 4, 2018 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I don't usually pay attention to the Oscars Minimalist 6 698 February 29, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  A.C. Grayling - about "Teaching the controversy" leo-rcc 3 1282 January 8, 2010 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: fr0d0