Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was pi invented or discovered?
Was pi invented or discovered?
Thoughts?
RE: Was pi invented or discovered?
Discovered. It was not created (the ratio always existed, whether we were aware of it or not), therefore could not have been invented.
It all depends on whether the concepts of mathematics are independent of a conscious mind (i.e. they have always existed) or if mathematics can only exist whithin a conscious mind, like morality.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(March 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: It all depends on whether the concepts of mathematics are independent of a conscious mind (i.e. they have always existed) or if mathematics can only exist whithin a conscious mind, like morality.

Easy now, this is the maths subforum. Philosophy is down the hall.

Cool Shades
I understand the discovered position, but personally I lean toward invented. And yes, I guess it's more for the philosophy section, somewhere near the tree falling in the forest.
(March 6, 2013 at 7:39 pm)John V Wrote: I understand the discovered position, but personally I lean toward invented. And yes, I guess it's more for the philosophy section, somewhere near the tree falling in the forest.

Yeah, I understand that position as well, and recognize that absent consciousness, mathematical concepts lose meaning, whether they exist independently or not.

Interesting question, and not quite as simple as it appears on the surface.
(March 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 6, 2013 at 7:39 pm)John V Wrote: I understand the discovered position, but personally I lean toward invented. And yes, I guess it's more for the philosophy section, somewhere near the tree falling in the forest.

Yeah, I understand that position as well, and recognize that absent consciousness, mathematical concepts lose meaning, whether they exist independently or not.

Really? wake up!

Is universal gravitational constant discovered or invented, how about speed of light? Planck constant? Discovered or invented? Elementary charge?
(March 6, 2013 at 8:39 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(March 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Yeah, I understand that position as well, and recognize that absent consciousness, mathematical concepts lose meaning, whether they exist independently or not.

Really? wake up!

Is universal gravitational constant discovered or invented, how about speed of light? Planck constant? Discovered or invented? Elementary charge?

You're conflating mathematics and physics. We're discussing the nature of the ration of diameter to circumference in a perfect circle. Are perfect circles found in nature? I'm not aware of any, though I do not necessarily doubt they exist. Does the concept of a perfect circle hold any meaning absent a consciousness capable of contemplating one? I'm not certain. How can you be?
(March 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: It all depends on whether the concepts of mathematics are independent of a conscious mind (i.e. they have always existed) or if mathematics can only exist whithin a conscious mind, like morality.

Easy now, this is the maths subforum. Philosophy is down the hall.

Cool Shades

Haha, but to efficiently answer the question we need to delve into philosophy! If maths is just a human construct (which I think it is, because e.g. geometry has heaps of concepts that can't be observed in nature e.g. parallel lines) then it can't be discovered as it wasn't "out there" to be discovered. Therefore it was invented.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(March 6, 2013 at 8:39 pm)Chuck Wrote: Really? wake up!

Really Chuck.

You can't actually create a perfect circle, it's determined by the length of the blocks which you use to build it. You could build a circle out of hydrogen atoms all around the universe, I think you need the first 39 decimal places of Pi or so to build a circle that size to that precision - but it will still only be an approximate circle and not a perfect circle (obviously it's not perfect until you need to use an infinite number of decimals of Pi). A circle is a regular polygon where the number of sides approaches infinity. Pi is simply the answer to the question what is the ratio of the length of the sides of a regular polygon to the average diameter "as the number of sides approach infinity"?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is mathematics discovered, developed, or both? Macoleco 26 3640 December 3, 2016 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne