Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Profiles, Please
Private Profiles, Please
I'm just not comfortable with some random guy just going on this website and obtaining my email address and other information that is kept on my profile. Would any of you administrators be able to configure the website so that only members can access that information?
RE: Private Profiles, Please
just put your e mail adress out of your profil

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERP
(March 8, 2013 at 5:36 pm)C3P0 Wrote: I'm just not comfortable with some random guy just going on this website and obtaining my email address and other information that is kept on my profile. Would any of you administrators be able to configure the website so that only members can access that information?

You can change settings to hide your email address. Go to "user cp" at the top right corner of the page, then click on "edit options" on the left side of the page, check the "hide my email address" box and click "update options".

As for the other stuff...I don't know, but I don't know how much personal information other than that would be in your profile (I see you hid your birthday, for example).
(March 8, 2013 at 5:39 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: just put your e mail adress out of your profil

I want other members to have access to it, though.
(March 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm)C3P0 Wrote:
(March 8, 2013 at 5:39 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: just put your e mail adress out of your profil

I want other members to have access to it, though.

Thinking Can non-members even look at profiles? I know they can't at Freethought Forums (where I am not signed up).
Yes, non-members can look at profiles.

Don't put your personal information if you don't want it getting out.

Rely on the Private Messaging feature as it works on our system on an internal basis.

YMMV
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(March 8, 2013 at 5:42 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(March 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm)C3P0 Wrote: I want other members to have access to it, though.

Thinking Can non-members even look at profiles? I know they can't at Freethought Forums (where I am not signed up).

Yes they can.
(March 8, 2013 at 5:36 pm)C3P0 Wrote: I'm just not comfortable with some random guy just going on this website and obtaining my email address and other information that is kept on my profile. Would any of you administrators be able to configure the website so that only members can access that information?
You don't have your email on your profile. If you have any other information and you don't want people to see it, don't put it on your profile.

Hiding profiles from guests is a silly notion, considering that it takes almost no time at all to create an account (for free) and view the information anyway.
How likely is it that some weirdo might spam you with mail?

I dont want to be condacending, but your profil isnt that interesting. No profile here is interesting.

Who cares, we are all going to die anyway.
What about phone numbers. Can that be hidden too?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in Angrboda 89 11408 April 22, 2023 at 10:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Private Messages Dundee 33 4550 November 15, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Can I please haz hugs? Losty 63 12162 May 1, 2018 at 5:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is there a way to disable private messages? *Deidre* 14 2614 July 21, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Please Make This Thread a Sticky in the Philosophy Forum Rhondazvous 1 1154 March 10, 2017 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Please Allow Me to Edit this Post Rhondazvous 18 2574 December 30, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  PLEASE add Soundcloud support bennyboy 73 6605 June 29, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Please remove the gender identifier. Pyrrho 48 7773 May 27, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Limit to private messages? dahrling 11 2661 May 5, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Please help me, urgent Foxaèr 17 2751 April 15, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: LastPoet