Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I come out?
Should I come out?
So I recently read a thread about a certain air traffic control atheist coming out to his friends and family. I am thinking about doing the same. I just want to hear some second opinions here. FYI I'm 14, live in the U.S. with reasonably religious parents. I don't think they would like kick me out or anything though. My family has a history of Atheists. I have a grandfather and an uncle who are both non-believers.
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
RE: Should I come out?
Such decisions for someone so young must be based on the amount of blowback it would generate.

For example, I cannot guess what you mean by "reasonably religious." I've never met a religious person who was reasonable at any measurable level.

Do you live in the heart of New York City or in the middle of the bible belt? It does make a difference. Even if your parents are "reasonable" you could have a whole bunch of acquaintances who are anything but.
Are your parents fundies? Like do they believe earth is 6000 years old?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
If you don't think it will be an issue but you're not sure you could just slowly drop hints and gauge their reactions.
My parents are very religious but they are also very loving and tolerant. I told them.

Telling rest of society - I planned too - but my family convinced me not to do it for their sake as well as feed back from members here.

I have the urge to come out all the time. It's hard. I know. But if it will bring shame to your family, perhaps your family should come first.
Do it.
Haha good one Min. Like, they go to church weekly, but don't really do much else. Also, I live in East Tennessee. So obviously in the bible belt. As far as my friends go, the ones who aren't assholes will still support me. I don't care about the ones who don't respect my decisions. My parents don't believe the Earth is 6000 years, and are definitely not fundamentalists haha.
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
You are only 14? How do you know that you are a homosexual? When I was in my teenage years, it was cool to be gay at the school that I was at. I had a brief flirtation with homosexuality. I tried to hook up with a guy once.

I am 27 now. Honestly, I havn't had a single thought about homosexuality in probably 7 or 8 or 9 years.

I would say grow up a little bit before you make rash decisions. Do you really need to define your sexuality at age 14?

To commit to the homosexual lifestyle is a very serious choice that will affect you your whole life. You don't need to decide that you are gay or figure everything out immediately.

If you accept the homosexual lifestyle, it will severely impair your ability to make good judgements about theology and God and bias you towards the assumptions of a culture that is virulently anti-Christian. It is possible that you could be separated from God eternally because of it, though God does not consider homosexuality to be worst than other serious sins and will lovingly accept anyone who repents, whether heterosexual or homosexual. God loves everyone, God doesn't dislike people because of their personality or their mannerism or anything like that. God loves everyone.

God loves you a lot. My heart goes out to you and I hope that you make a wise decision. Life is a dangerous place. Be careful. I have seen young boys taken advantage of in my life, women pimped out, a friend of mine had a gay pimp approach him. I know others who sold themselves for money to get drugs.

Life is a hard place. People are evil. I love you and I hope that you make wise decisions.
(March 10, 2013 at 10:03 pm)jstrodel Wrote: You are only 14? How do you know that you are a homosexual? When I was in my teenage years, it was cool to be gay at the school that I was at. I had a brief flirtation with homosexuality. I tried to hook up with a guy once.

I am 27 now. Honestly, I havn't had a single thought about homosexuality in probably 7 or 8 or 9 years.

I would say grow up a little bit before you make rash decisions. Do you really need to define your sexuality at age 14?

Please tell me you're joking... I wouldn't put it past you to be serious.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(March 10, 2013 at 10:05 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(March 10, 2013 at 10:03 pm)jstrodel Wrote: You are only 14? How do you know that you are a homosexual? When I was in my teenage years, it was cool to be gay at the school that I was at. I had a brief flirtation with homosexuality. I tried to hook up with a guy once.

Please tell me you're joking... I wouldn't put it past you to be serious.

What, you've never turned gay to be cool? I did it AT LEAST four times.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5236 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3102 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1832 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8789 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1385 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1786 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists come up with ideal god sinnerdaniel94 124 15981 October 12, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why did you come to this board? Kingpin 131 19894 August 18, 2015 at 8:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11947 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 6679 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle