Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are Deists obsessed with Atheism?
Why are Deists obsessed with Atheism?
After hopping on more than one Atheist forum, I see some bible thumpers pounding away in a sort of religious masterbation, spewing where they can where atheists reside. It's an odd thing that caused me to ponder.

My top 10 reasons are:

1) They feel that the more they suffer, the closer to heaven they will be.
2) The more they can make others suffer, the better they can feel about themselves.
3) If they can convince an atheist that this religous BS is true, then they can feel better about that BS.
4) God told them to, and while they don't want to, they have an obligation.
5) Atheists are ignorant, so if they can just be educated...
6) If they can prove it's true, then it must be true.
7) It's an ego trip - a holier than though attitude (which isn't far fetched here!)
8) The deists who hang out here are just assholes.
9) They are just crazies who happen to be deists.
10) They are really athiests and are just trolling. Nobody can be that stupid!

Got any others?
“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
RE: Why are Deists obsessed with Atheism?
I'm not sure your idea of a deist is the same as mine...
Although I will see the occasional deist on an atheist forum, ready to argue over the very little a deist has left to argue about with atheists.
(March 14, 2013 at 11:49 am)EGross Wrote: After hopping on more than one Atheist forum, I see some bible thumpers pounding away in a sort of religious masterbation, spewing where they can where atheists reside. It's an odd thing that caused me to ponder.

Hopefully it's an attempt at validation. When I was a believer I never dared to stray even near to forums like this, or any kind of discussion that might attack my beliefs. Thankfully, the weakness of my belief system did that all its own, but I wonder how much faster that might have happened if I'd put it to the test.

Even if someone visits atheist sites with a mind towards "showing them that they're wrong" and even if they resist any attempt at rational discourse, their willingness to engage is useful. I wonder what the percentage is of believers who make an earnest effort at understanding atheists, and wind up doubting or rejecting their own beliefs?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Maybe instead of deists...you mean "theists?"

The deists we have on this board are pretty much part of our more sane portion of the forum population.

If you meant "theists" I agree with your points. Particularly #3.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I agree, I think you mean theists. Deists are often pretty rational people.
Yes - I always tease Deist Paladin that a deist is just an atheist who refuses to let go with the other hand.

Theists...OTOH... are pretty useless.
Our resident Deists seem to be in opposition to our resident theists far more often than our resident heathens.
(March 14, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yes - I always tease Deist Paladin that a deist is just an atheist who refuses to let go with the other hand.

Theists...OTOH... are pretty useless.

Shake Fist

[Image: self-defense%20for%20women-w.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Just wondering, aren't theists technically deists too?
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4924 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5246 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Question for Deists Fred Hampton 26 4713 April 1, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19601 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ? jenny1972 94 14051 November 17, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why atheism dyresand 9 2100 October 22, 2015 at 9:41 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Deists-why do you believe this way? heathendegenerate 21 4041 March 22, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11562 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Questions for Deists Paul the Human 2 1694 June 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human
  sincere question for theists and deists Darth 15 5397 June 24, 2011 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Darth