Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm Tonus
Hi, I'm Tonus
I was raised a Jehovah's Witness. My experiences with them were generally positive, and I cannot recall ever being troubled by the teachings or doctrine or lifestyle*. But I never developed the deeply-ingrained loyalty that is required for anyone to remain within that organization. Over time I drifted from it and after many years came to terms with who I am and what I do -and don't- believe. Even so, it wasn't until last year that I started to read books and sites critical of the Watchtower organization, and that led me from one book to another and one site to another. Eventually it led me to atheist sites and forums. A Google search for a more active forum led me here.

I am an atheist. It took some time to understand that being an atheist is nothing like I imagined, especially when I was religious. Being an atheist is... I guess I would say that it is passive, where being religious is active (especially if you're a JW). I'm comfortable with who I am and the life I lead and the world I live in. On the one hand, I wish I'd known all of this years ago. On the other, religion was useful, providing an easy path out of a poor environment. I bear no scars and no bitterness (well... some bitterness) and am enjoying the sense of freedom that comes with understanding that my future is my own to manage.

By day, I keep a computer network running for a mid-sized engineering company in New York. By night, I draw. In between, I live life. Which is a euphemism for playing video games and reading comic books and any number of other things that might make you think I'm a geek. Which is fine, because I am.

*I suppose I should qualify this. During the time that I was active (until the late 90s) and for years afterwards, I did not consciously question any JW or Bible teachings. Even those that I couldn't reconcile, I assumed were a failing of my own that god would clear up in due time, even if that meant waiting until after he'd brought about paradise on Earth. Subconsciously, this sort of self-deception didn't seem to work, and various beliefs and explanations that couldn't fit logically worked to undermine those beliefs that I held by default (ie, god exists). But it wasn't until I'd drifted away that I began to look at the teachings with an eye towards deciding if they really did make sense. The rest of this post should make clear where that led me.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
RE: Hi, I'm Tonus
Congratulations for escaping the cult.

Of course, all religions are cults.
Welcome
Howdy!
Cunt
Welcome Tonus!
Welcome Enjoy the forums.
Interesting! Welcome Wink
Welcome Tonus.

JW's are notorious for their "culty" behaviour, and having met a few JW's, they also are taught doctrines and beliefs that are contrary to the Bible (the RCC does this too to some extent). One of their biggest crimes is in not enabling their followers to choose between all Bible translations - the NWT and the KJV both are quite flawed, the NWT for being "too literal" in many places, and for introducing JW/Watchtower specific bias in translation. A translation that is "too literal" isn't helpful for being read and studied every day - it is still a useful tool, and undoubtedly a useful translation, however you cannot derive meaning from transliterating Hebrew/Aramaic and Greek text, you can't derived meaning from a word-for-word literal reproduction into English, you have to have a compromise (change word order, etc) otherwise the text will never make the sense that it's supposed to make. Their approach is if they control the scripture then they control the religion, basically.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Hi Aractus, and thanks all for the welcomes.

"Culty" is being kind. The best description of the Jehovah's Witnesses is "a high-control cult." Not that I noticed in the time that I was there; I bought the story hook, line, and sinker. It probably stuck as long as it did because I was raised in that environment, and so it was 'normal.' My faith didn't fail because of the JWs as much as because the Bible did not convince me that god was real. Once I started to read about the JWs specifically, I was surprised to learn just how much I did not know about them. That's one of the control mechanisms- the less the membership knows about your history, the easier it is to shape that history however you wish. The internet is devastating to groups like that.

I agree that they edit their version of the Bible to suit their aims, as well. In some ways, I see that as the modern-day equivalent of what has been happening to the Bible since it's first words were being written. The changes and revisions have been less drastic since the church assembled it into its present form, but such books have historically been reflections of the cultures and politics of their time. One of the benefits of getting away from a high-control cult is that I no longer prevent myself from reading and studying information that challenges what I believe. I've been enjoying this site tremendously. Not because of its stated aim, but the way it researches the history of the Bible and what it tells us about the people who... built it, I guess is the best term.

That's my approach. After almost 30 years of forcing myself not to know, and another 10 or so of slowly coming around, I simply enjoy learning without the guilt and without the self-imposed restrictions.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Welcome
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.