Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and religion
Science and religion
Hello. Smile

I'm in the process of finding out what I believe. I still go to a Christian church even though I don't believe in the bible anymore. So today the pastor was saying how science and the bible go hand in hand, but science hasn't yet caught up with the bible. When I heard him say this I could hardly wait to get home and find out what you guys had to say. Wink

I don't know anything about science, so I would love to get suggestions on videos, articles, blogs, or books about how religion and science go together OR how they DON'T go together. I just want to do my research. Do science and other religions (besides Christianity) match up? Science and the Quran?

Please share. I am but a sponge ready to soak up your knowledge. Smile
RE: Science and religion
I would have thought it's pretty obvious that science doesn't line up with the bible.
Also, "science hasn't caught up with the bible"?

Is that implying that the bible is more scientifically accurate than science itself?

EDIT: I say this, because we can take a number of biblical claims/'events' and show that the conflict with the scientific knowledge we have today.
(March 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm)Persuade Me Wrote: I would have thought it's pretty obvious that science doesn't line up with the bible.

Is that implying that the bible is more scientifically accurate than science itself?

EDIT: I say this, because we can take a number of biblical claims/'events' and show that the conflict with the scientific knowledge we have today.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been learning so far. It's amazing what I've learned what I don't take the preachers word for it lol. You would think that it would be really obvious that it doesn't line up, but there are a lot of persuasive Christian leaders out there.
(March 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm)sarcasticface Wrote:
(March 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm)Persuade Me Wrote: I would have thought it's pretty obvious that science doesn't line up with the bible.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been learning so far. It's amazing what I've learned what I don't take the preachers word for it lol. You would think that it would be really obvious that it doesn't line up, but there are a lot of persuasive Christian leaders out there.

Unfortunately, that's true. There are also a lot of gullible people out there, along with the people that just want to believe what seems 'comforting' - and stick their fingers in their ears to avoid hearing anything contradictory - rather than the truth.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's true. There are also a lot of gullible people out there, along with the people that just want to believe what seems 'comforting' - and stick their fingers in their ears to avoid hearing anything contradictory - rather than the truth.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's really sad actually. I mean, I was too scared to learn about any other belief besides Christianity until a few months ago. I've never had a need to learn about evolution or anything science related until now.

Haha oops sorry... I screwed up that last quote. Rolleyes
Quote:When I heard him say this I could hardly wait to get home and find out what you guys had to say.

He's an asshole.
Science and Christianity are not compatible.
Science does not disprove Christianity. There is no scientific evidence anywhere that even remotely comes close to challenging any of the central tenets of Christian doctrine. Some science challenges a literal interpretation of Genesis.

Science began as a mostly Christian enterprise, now it is partially secular. Many, many scientists believe in God. Many of the greatest scientists in history have believed in God.
All of the major universities started as Christian universities and still are Christian to a large degree. 55% of scientists believe in God.

http://biologos.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chr...in_science
(March 17, 2013 at 8:32 pm)jstrodel Wrote: Science began as a mostly Christian enterprise, now it is partially secular. Many, many scientists believe in God. Many of the greatest scientists in history have believed in God.
All of the major universities started as Christian universities and still are Christian to a large degree. 55% of scientists believe in God.

So what?
Quote:There is no scientific evidence anywhere that even remotely comes close to challenging any of the central tenets of Christian doctrine.

Human beings do not come back from the dead.

If you think your godboy did it is up to you to prove it not for science to disprove your fantasies. As far as science is concerned the case is closed.

The ball is in your court.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6345 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 497 104128 October 25, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 0 444 September 13, 2017 at 1:48 am
Last Post: causal code
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10600 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19601 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Disproving gods with history and science dyresand 10 3164 June 30, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  No conflict between faith and science, eh? The Reality Salesman01 37 10097 May 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48975 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion Mudhammam 3 1826 November 11, 2014 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Mudhammam