Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The internet should have a plan B
The internet should have a plan B

I was watching this talk but, it makes sense we need a emeancacy backup system if the internet goes down at least for key services for example: police, fire, medical service e.t.c.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: The internet should have a plan B
It's called picking up a phone and calling 911.
I doubt the police solely use TCP/IP, largely due to the risk of network failure. IMO, this is why VoIP won't replace POTS for YEARS yet, since POTS can operate without mains power. TCP/IP cannot (well not yet anyhow).
HAM radio anyone?

[Image: D7612546_714_924958278]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Very informative topic,In according to me, internet is the best way to Advertise your product.You can watch every type of the product in the internet.you can see the best places for travelling and check the rates of travelling agency.It is a best solution for us.Every body use the internet to solve their problem.
Very informative topic,In according to me, internet is the best way to Advertise your product.You can watch every type of the product in the internet.you can see the best places for travelling and check the rates of travelling agency.It is a best solution for us.Every body use the internet to solve their problem.
[/quote]

[Removed]
(May 18, 2013 at 12:01 am)ChadWooters Wrote: HAM radio anyone?
Sure. But even code-free, get people to pass the test. Heck, even get people interested in it. How many clubs are going to set up next month in a way that they interest the public in their FD activities?

And, if power goes down, you need a generator, solar or wind system or a car to stay on the air. (Or a really big go-bag full of charged batteries for the HT.)

When industry, mainly sales, figures out that "internet down" means bankruptcy, they'll start working on redundancy down to the "last mile" .
I agree with you we always have a plan b, so why not the internet. Nowadays technology is moving so fast so why not some kind of revelation should become in this field, from last some year I didn't see anything changed in this i think it's the time when something new should come in the market.
Count Your Blessings.
[Image: smoke-signals-larger-640x266.jpg]
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation? FlatAssembler 7 252 January 27, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 486 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 982 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1443 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1885 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2584 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Internet Browser paulpablo 14 1871 May 2, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Sal
  Iran rolls out domestic internet account_inactive 6 1621 August 30, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Tesla Master Plan, Part Deux Excited Penguin 16 1864 July 26, 2016 at 10:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Internet speed, 2015 bennyboy 128 17353 April 22, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: account_inactive