Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formal Debate
Formal Debate
Just wondering how one goes about proposing a formal debate (including challenging someone directly). I went to the Debate Area forum and tried to start a New Thread but was promptly denied access, so evidently that is not the way. Is there a different area of the forums where that sort of thing is posted?

Dankeschön.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
RE: Formal Debate
The Debate Area has rules that are clearly outlined in the forum:
Quote:This is not a forum for posting random debates where anyone is able to comment or argue for or against the topic.

In order to post in this forum you must outline your debate motion, and name the people who will be debating. These are the only people who will be allowed to comment, unless everyone in the debate agrees to another member joining in. Nobody else is allowed to comment on the things being said (as in a standard debate). You may contact the contributors by PM or create a thread in off-topic if you wish to talk about something they have said.

Debating is to be civil, and can either be a point for point debate or one where many points are raised and discussed, with rebuttals from either side coming in at various times.

As finding a neutral moderator is going to be near impossible, there will be no declared winner of any debate, unless any team admits defeat.
So you organise the debate with a person (or team) that you wish to debate with via the PM system. When you have settled on a topic / teams, you ask on of the admins know of your intentions, and they will create the thread and give you access.

The idea of the debate forum is to only allow those debating to post, meaning it is a proper debate, and nobody else is allowed to comment (you wouldn't have people yelling out and joining in in a real debate).
Yeah, obviously I had read the Debate Area rules—they were staring me in the face. However, I couldn't figure out how you "outline your debate motion, and name the people who will be debating" without first challenging someone to a formal debate and them accepting. Although I realized that a debate challenge can be sent privately, I was hoping for a more public way of proposing a debate challenge, so people can see debate challenges that go unaccepted (assuming any do) and what the challenge was.

At any rate, I have sent off my debate challenge. Now I wait... and hope.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
If you don't have a specific person in mind, you could post an announcement in the off topic forum asking for people to debate you I suppose.
Or you can challenge in off-topic, or you can challenge in any thread. Some debates can be started by ongoing conversations that turn into a debate challenge. It doesn't just have to be in a PM. However you challenge your opponent is up to you, as long as you don't disrupt the forums. It's only once the challengers have been decided that you deal with rest in PM with the admins.

However, I see Arcanus's point Adrian, it doesn't specifically point out in the Debate area that you need to PM an admin to actually get the debate going. You might want to correct that and clarify.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can we have a more relaxed debate forum? ErGingerbreadMandude 32 4043 October 21, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Questions about Debate GOĐ 15 2288 January 10, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1238 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The "Debate Area" KichigaiNeko 8 2966 February 18, 2014 at 7:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Thanks for creating a forum with real debate! jstrodel 112 30149 March 16, 2013 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Cyberman