Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:51 am

Poll: Do you believe that every human has a soul?
This poll is closed.
Yes
7.41%
2 7.41%
No
77.78%
21 77.78%
I think it's definitely possible.
7.41%
2 7.41%
Maybe, but I doubt it.
7.41%
2 7.41%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Determining the Soul
Determining the Soul
I recently met an atheist who believed he had a soul. A rarity yes, but not unheard of. After all, most any atheist is adamant about the definition of atheism: An atheist does not believe in the existence of god(s). Nothing more.

Being a deist, we were able to find some common bond in his belief in the soul. His mockery of my belief in some kind of creator God seemed odd to me since he himself believed in something that is unseen and unproven. That being said, I regularly mock religion myself and did not find his remarks about a deistic God at all offensive. We had many common beliefs about all things existential and we eventually parted ways having shared many laughs and a warm handshake. (Probably why I always like hanging with atheists.)

21 GRAMS
The curiosity of the whole conversation was his interest in a flawed experiment about the alleged weight of the human soul. 21 grams.
At the turn of the 20th Century a doctor named Duncan MacDougall made claim (loosely) that a small group of tuberculosis patients immediately lost approximately 21 grams when they died. The experiment was poorly executed and in my opinion is about as valid as a fresh 3 dollar bill. (for those who aren't aware, the US Mint doesn't print one)
Read the article found at the link if you would like more info. Snopes has a large write-up on it as well.

At any rate, he referred to this experiment several times as if to use it as evidence. Although I think the human soul may very well exist, I felt it made him look rather foolish to keep referring to it as some sort of circumstantial evidence. I'm not aware of any further testing or of any verification of these experiments but I would love to get the opinions of you atheists on this whole topic.

Do you think you have a soul? Do you find it odd that an atheist would believe in the soul?
Do you know of any other documented studies about the soul? etc etc.

Discuss
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Determining the Soul
I do find it odd that an atheist would believe in the existence of a soul given that we haven't yet found any concrete evidence for the existence of such. Atheists are skeptics by nature after all. Something tells me that the atheist you talked to wasn't very well informed about the validity of that experiment he kept quoting, and did the same thing that many theists do, which is believe and hold fiercely onto any piece of evidence that supports their opinion, while disregarding all the rest.

As for me, I don't like saying certainly that something does or doesn't exist unless it can be tested conclusively. The most that I know is that I don't know, and I like to believe in Carl Sagan's words: that it's okay to agnostic about the things you don't know.
Have contemplated and ask my committee about this very issue. They all came back with...

"IF you had a soul we killed it with knowledge"

Dodgy Sometimes I REALLY hate being in my own head/mind.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Do you think the idea of having a soul is exclusively supernatural?

This particular atheist felt that the soul could be some kind of energy that is difficult to measure and that parts or even possibly the whole of the conscious mind is stored within it almost like a backup hard drive.
[Image: Evolution.png]

The mind as material phenomena adequately explains what we are with no parts left over.

"Je n'ai pas eu besoin de cette hypothèse."
Laplace

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I think that what we call the soul is mainly our consciousness, which is stored mostly in the brain.
(March 22, 2013 at 2:36 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: I think that what we call the soul is mainly our consciousness, which is stored mostly in the brain.

[Image: D7612546_2932214_6139134]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I don't believe in souls. I do have a friend who is an atheist who does think we have souls. He also believes in an afterlife, aliens (as in they are already here kidnapping farmers) and a whole bunch of bizarre conspiracy theories.
(March 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I don't believe in souls. I do have a friend who is an atheist who does think we have souls. He also believes in an afterlife, aliens (as in they are already here kidnapping farmers) and a whole bunch of bizarre conspiracy theories.
My mom has a lot of friends who are "secular," yet believe in new-agey stuff like healing crystals and shit.
I just love crystals!

Yeah I know ... Sad

I'm a frustrated geologist! Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem of the soul zwanzig 142 10319 August 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 5184 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your Soul Count? Graufreud 39 4375 July 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1060 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theists, What If Your "Soul" Isn't Really Immortal? God of Mr. Hanky 22 5454 February 3, 2016 at 6:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The afterlife and the soul Vincent 87 18133 January 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  What the hell is a 'soul' anyway? Lucanus 128 27844 September 7, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Ronkonkoma
  Disproving The Soul Severan 58 13954 August 31, 2015 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Selling your soul. Chad32 38 9319 August 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  I sold my "soul" Foxaèr 18 3068 April 22, 2015 at 8:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13