Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless arguments
Pointless arguments
I'm sick of these stupid arguments that come up between atheists and theists about which side killed more or which side caused advances in technology and science because it's pointless! It proves nothing about the existence of God or the validity of atheism.

Maybe Hitler was a Christian and maybe he was an atheist. Who cares? Maybe Christianity helped the development of modern science and technology or maybe Christianity stalled it. So what? None of it matters when we're discussing the existence of God!
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Pointless arguments
What God?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 21, 2013 at 11:49 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I'm sick of these stupid arguments that come up between atheists and theists about which side killed more or which side caused advances in technology and science because it's pointless! It proves nothing about the existence of God or the validity of atheism.

Maybe Hitler was a Christian and maybe he was an atheist. Who cares? Maybe Christianity helped the development of modern science and technology or maybe Christianity stalled it. So what? None of it matters when we're discussing the existence of God!

Those arguments aren't brought up while discussing the existence of god. They're brought up while discussing how much harm religion causes.
I enjoy fucking with them.....which is my only point.
I do not see these kind of arguments as pointless in any kind of way.

If they are made honestly and realy have the goal to determine the reason of why these crimes happened.
(March 22, 2013 at 12:19 am)genkaus Wrote:
(March 21, 2013 at 11:49 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I'm sick of these stupid arguments that come up between atheists and theists about which side killed more or which side caused advances in technology and science because it's pointless! It proves nothing about the existence of God or the validity of atheism.

Those arguments aren't brought up while discussing the existence of god. They're brought up while discussing how much harm religion causes.

Yes, and that discussion is usually part of a discussion about how religion is trying enforce some doctrine of theirs.......like ...school prayer. Anytime the negatives of this superstitious mind candy can be brought into the light ....... the more the better.
[Image: tumblr_mliut3rXE01soz1kco1_500.jpg]

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so.
-- Mark Twain

Welcome tokutter

(just incase I have missed your intro)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

finally. a atheist sage comes to speak.

well done.
people are people. people kill people.

Now what was that evidence for "poof here I am" again?
You have none? its a feeling? You really think that?
err ok.

I don't
THE END.
I agree that they are useless arguments when discussing the existence of gods, But not when discussing the damage that dogmatic, faith based beliefs cause.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 22, 2013 at 1:43 pm)archangle Wrote: finally. a atheist sage comes to speak.

well done.
people are people. people kill people.

Now what was that evidence for "poof here I am" again?
You have none? its a feeling? You really think that?
err ok.

I don't
THE END.

Beef anyone?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 698 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15992 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 24015 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19044 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78716 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12175 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 51083 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
  Aren't Science vs. Creation Debates......rather pointless? maestroanth 30 5603 March 29, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  A series of my arguments/points over the years. Mystic 9 2700 December 11, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
Video VenomFangX Attempts to Refute Atheist Arguments Mental Outlaw 18 3880 August 19, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue