Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom of Speech in the UK
Freedom of Speech in the UK
Quick question: Can I insult somebody's religion to their Face and say I don't care about their feeling in the UK without getting locked up or what is the limits of freedom of Speech in the UK?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Freedom of Speech in the UK
I would be really suprised if you couldnt
(March 25, 2013 at 10:35 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Quick question: Can I insult somebody's religion to their Face and say I don't care about their feeling in the UK without getting locked up or what is the limits of freedom of Speech in the UK?

You would probably get locked up. But it depends what the religion is you're insulting, if it's Islam or Judaism the chances are high I think , Christianity not as high and so on.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(March 26, 2013 at 2:38 am)paulpablo Wrote:
(March 25, 2013 at 10:35 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Quick question: Can I insult somebody's religion to their Face and say I don't care about their feeling in the UK without getting locked up or what is the limits of freedom of Speech in the UK?

You would probably get locked up. But it depends what the religion is you're insulting, if it's Islam or Judaism the chances are high I think , Christianity not as high and so on.

This is where Europe needs a fucking history lesson, didn't you guys learn a damned thing from the Dark ages? PC is a form of fascism. No one has the right to be free from being offended.

And what does this say about ANY GOD be it Allah/Yahweh or Jesus if it needs mere mortals to defend it? And what a petty dictator it would have to be in a world full of famine, disease, war and crime to make it's top priority to be not being called names.

When anyone says "Don't pick on my God" I get the image of a midget standing spread eagle in front of t he Terminator shouting "DON'T HIT MY GOD YOU MIGHT HURT HIM".

God/s as concepts are nothing but a mental placebo people concoct to protect their own egos. Humanity fortunately has proven it can progress beyond it's own selfish narcissism through blasphemy.

As soon as someone says "I will punish you for picking on me" fear them and never trust them with political power.

I'd be staggered if you got locked up. If you did the papers and media would be all over it defending your right to free speech.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
personily I love free speech and if it means a christian group can put there banner on a bus with a homophobic tag line, then is a small price to pay for free speech be cause it give me the right to call them fucking retarted.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Xtians may grumble when jesus is insulted but to give the devils their due they don't lose their fucking minds and start killing people over it.
I think there's a lot of bollocks spread about the level of free speech over here. In my own home town alone we have our share of, shall we say, outspoken individuals with very pronounced opinions on religious matters and back in the day I myself have engaged them on occasion; it got to the point where, if she spotted them before I did, my darling Sam would grab my arm and steer me rapidly in some other direction. At no time has there ever been any threat of police attention, nor has anyone involved felt under any kind of sanction for saying their piece. So no, as far as I'm aware there are no legal penalties for insulting aomeone's religion to their face. A smack in the mouth just for being insulting, now that's a different matter.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Yes, you can. As Stimbo says, they might wallop you but nobody's going to arrest you.

There is an offence about enciting religious hatred I believe, but that's to do with speakers (preachers of some sort or other) enciting groups to go out and smash stuff up or whatever. Indidivuals can say what they like as far as I'm aware
(March 28, 2013 at 10:45 am)squitten Wrote: Yes, you can. As Stimbo says, they might wallop you but nobody's going to arrest you.

There is an offence about enciting religious hatred I believe, but that's to do with speakers (preachers of some sort or other) enciting groups to go out and smash stuff up or whatever. Indidivuals can say what they like as far as I'm aware

That law is more to put a damper of the EDL The English Defence League which is what the fascist BNP has transmogrified into.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freedom From Atheism Foundation (FFAF) Void 40 7970 March 11, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Persuasive speech help Philosojoey 9 1740 November 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Ayaan's recent Yale speech...cant find it. Brian37 7 2380 September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Exmormon To Atheist Freedom and Depression LivingNumbers6.626 14 2536 June 4, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Freedom From Religion, Converted Human LivingNumbers6.626 6 2060 April 19, 2014 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Use of religious language in every day speech rubikscube 24 6910 January 20, 2012 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Blam!
  Food for The Eagle - Adam Savage speech leo-rcc 3 2669 April 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Obama covers up religious symbol for speech moodydaniel 0 1603 April 17, 2009 at 5:14 am
Last Post: moodydaniel