Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
This was from another thread:

It's good to put in yourself in position of another, and ask what you think is the right thing to do with regards to yourself, and apply it to others.
If you were evil, would it be the right thing to have compassion yourself and hope you are forgiven and reformed or eternally tortured?
I believe it's the former.
Therefore I believe it's right to wish others compassion and they not be eternally tortured but forgiven and reformed.
Therefore I believe if there is a Creator that shares morality of humanity, it would be wrong of him to eternally torture humans for being evil.
RE: My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
No crime imaginable deserves eternal punishment, even if the punishment is mild.
(March 26, 2013 at 8:30 pm)Ryantology Wrote: No crime imaginable deserves eternal punishment, even if the punishment is mild.

True, however if you like me has gotten to know the character of Yahweh/Jesus in the Bible. You come to the conclusion that Yahweh/Jesus (I am convinced they are one and the same) is enough of a sadistic prick to inflict eternal punishment (including babies and possibly foetuses) on people. However the sort of god a lot of Christians believe in would do inflict eternal punishment, temporary punishment or simply annihilation yes, eternal no. Because such an entity knows that one can only commit a finite number of sins in their lifetime.
undefined
Hiya againSmile So you don't believe in the Christian God. What do you believe?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(March 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Justtristo Wrote:
(March 26, 2013 at 8:30 pm)Ryantology Wrote: No crime imaginable deserves eternal punishment, even if the punishment is mild.

True, however if you like me has gotten to know the character of Yahweh/Jesus in the Bible. You come to the conclusion that Yahweh/Jesus (I am convinced they are one and the same) is enough of a sadistic prick to inflict eternal punishment (including babies and possibly foetuses) on people. However the sort of god a lot of Christians believe in would do inflict eternal punishment, temporary punishment or simply annihilation yes, eternal no. Because such an entity knows that one can only commit a finite number of sins in their lifetime.

I think a lot of Christians believe in eternal torture and are okay with it, because it won't be them suffering.
Ten million kudos to the above!
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

(March 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: Hiya againSmile So you don't believe in the Christian God. What do you believe?

Hi Smile

Well I believe in a higher power. I don't know much about this higher power, but it seems to be, somehow praise/greatness/morality originates from this higher reality/living being. This perception of the nature of morality/greatness/praise being eternally based for some reason cannot leave me.

I don't necessarily believe it's a god - a conversation with Rhythm has left be agnostic to whether it can be called a god or not - while formerly I thought it couldn't be worth of worship since it didn't earn it's praise or develop it's praise.

I am agnostic but don't believe others don't know for certain a Creator exists, and believe it's highly possible I've lost my way from certain knowledge and that it's possible I knew for certain in the past (lost that certainty). A lot of soul searching.

I'm not sure of what I know. And I'm not certain praise, morality, free-will, justice, perpetual identity and human rights are all true, but have faith in them and feel close to certain about them, and feel most of humanity, if they are true, do know them for certain.

Confusing dark times I'm going through!
(March 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Justtristo Wrote:

People can only commit a certain number of sins before they die, however those sins are eternal unless they have been forgiven, thus eternal punishment (not torture) for eternal sins.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
How do you define "eternal"?
Well, let's talk about morality then, I'm gameSmile It's a subject I need to investigate further for sure.

As a Christian I used to believe that there's right and there's wrong, and we all have a measure of knowing right from wrong.

Now I reject the idea that morality is anything but within ourselves, based on our experiences and governed by simple rules of existence.
Not externally delivered to us by a morality law. So what I'm saying is, our mere existence is morality. I'm was born, you were born. We are equal. If you do something that affects my well being, you're wrong because you have no right to do that since we're equal. The way we are able to confirm what is right and wrong is based on our own experiences within society. But, as we've seen, morality is altered based on the society.

Popular morality for example, shows that the definition of personal morality can change. So I don't believe morality is evenly distributed to all of us the same way. Few would promote murdering little children, there are however more than a few humans that would do this with no moral qualms. In another era slavery was accepted and helping slaves was “immoral”. So say you were born a prince, and you grew up believing others were there to serve you. You could morally assert that their suffering on your behalf is moral because you've been taught that they're there to serve you. Your whole existence is based on this fact. History has shown that there are cases like this that end up in genocides, torture, slavery, etc.

That doesn't mean what they did wasn't wrong, because they were born to this earth on the same level as their victims, but society gave them more credence than was due. Their own personal morality is skewed, and they do things that they don't consider to be immoral. So not everyone has a moral compass is what I'm thinking. A baby doesn't know that if they hit you it hurts, until they themselves feel that if they get hit it hurts or until you tell them NO. Why do you tell them no? Because they have no right to hit you. Just like you have no right to hit them.

There does seem to be a right and wrong in life, but that can be described as logical humanism.
Take India for instance, and it's societal hierarchy. There, it's immoral to apex your social class. A social class that is distributed to you by birth. Mankind has historically shown us that certain peoples in a society can have less rights than others and it's perfectly moral in their eyes. Again, that's just society altering morality though. The truth of the matter is that despite to whom or where they're born, those babies are equal in the simplicity of existence. Take all external factors like whom they were born or where, you just have two babies existing on this earth with equal rights.

This is the best definition I've found on morality: morality is a complex structure to maintain social cohesion and enhance survivability among social creatures.

Granted, I'm just talking to talk because I'd like feeback.. I'm not saying I'm right. I just started delving into this subject, in fact..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 11405 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 16106 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9216 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Nature's reasoning for religion... maestroanth 4 1494 May 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Eternal Damnation Hungry Hungry Hippo 14 5024 August 15, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Hungry Hungry Hippo
  Free Will and Loving/Rejecting God Nope 126 29521 January 26, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12410 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 15788 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Eternal punishment is pointless. Ryantology 497 59055 December 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3434 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician