Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statistics
Statistics
I don't know enough about stats or infinity to accurately answer this question:

1/∞

I assume it behaves like

.999999...=1

and therefore

1/∞=0

but wanted to check with someone who has studied math more than me.

Thanks!
RE: Statistics
If you were to draw it on a graph, it would get closer and closer to 0, but never touching.
Generally, in my classes at least, it is taken as 0.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
1/∞ is as meaningless as 1/apple.

∞ is not a number. You cannot divide 1 by it.

Besides, if 1/∞=0, then you could multiple both sides by ∞ and get:

1(∞)/∞ = 0(∞)

...which gives...

∞/∞ = 0

...which means...

1 = 0

No.

(March 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm)Joel Wrote: If you were to draw it on a graph, it would get closer and closer to 0, but never touching.
Then either you have not understood your classes, or your professor is an idiot.

I believe you are thinking of the graph y = 1/x, where the y value tends towards zero as the value of x tends towards ∞. However, the value of y never becomes equal to 0, nor does the value of x become equal to ∞.
Ya, it doesn't work well with equations. Joel answered my question though, the asymptote would be X=0 as Y approaches infinity.
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
(April 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm)Tex Wrote: Ya, it doesn't work well with equations. Joel answered my question though, the asymptote would be X=0 as Y approaches infinity.
No it wouldn't.

"In analytic geometry, an asymptote of a curve is a line such that the distance between the curve and the line approaches zero as they tend to infinity."

Source: Wikipedia

X approaches 0. It never equals it. I just showed you what happens when X=0 when Y approaches infinity. Mathematics breaks down. 1 = 0 is a contradiction.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thank ya, sir.
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
(April 3, 2013 at 3:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: "In analytic geometry, an asymptote of a curve is a line such that the distance between the curve and the line approaches zero as they tend to infinity."

Not to be a stickler here, but can't an asymptote be a curve that approaches any number but doesn't reach it? For example, there are asymptotes at 1 in f(x) = 1/(x-1).
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
No problem.

Incidentally, the reason why mathematics does not break down when dealing with infinitely long decimals (like 0.999999...) is down to the existence of real numbers, and being able to be placed on a number line between two others. That is to say, despite a number having an infinite number of digits after the decimal place, we can always find a number that is both higher and lower than it, without having to look at all the numbers (thus, we never actually need to expand the number to it's infinite length).

(April 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(April 3, 2013 at 3:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: "In analytic geometry, an asymptote of a curve is a line such that the distance between the curve and the line approaches zero as they tend to infinity."

Not to be a stickler here, but can't an asymptote be a curve that approaches any number but doesn't reach it? For example, there are asymptotes at 1 in f(x) = 1/(x-1).
I think you've read the definition wrong.

It's not saying the asymptote itself is equal to 0, but that the distance between the curve and the line (the asymptote) approaches 0 (which holds true for any convergent number).

In your example, the distance between the curve of the function f(x) and the asymptote approaches 0.
Tex, I absolutely suck at mathematics, but Vihart (is in my opinion both knowledgeable and explains many things math related well) and she made a nice video about the 0.9999...=1 conundrum.

When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 1/∞ is as meaningless as 1/apple.

∞ is not a number. You cannot divide 1 by it.

Besides, if 1/∞=0, then you could multiple both sides by ∞ and get:

1(∞)/∞ = 0(∞)

...which gives...

∞/∞ = 0

...which means...

1 = 0

No.

(March 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm)Joel Wrote: If you were to draw it on a graph, it would get closer and closer to 0, but never touching.
Then either you have not understood your classes, or your professor is an idiot.

I believe you are thinking of the graph y = 1/x, where the y value tends towards zero as the value of x tends towards ∞. However, the value of y never becomes equal to 0, nor does the value of x become equal to ∞.

He tells us that when it so close to zero, we should just write it as zero. Undecided
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bayesian Statistics John 6IX Breezy 9 1243 April 26, 2022 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: brewer