Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheism, philosophy and emotional immaturity
atheism, philosophy and emotional immaturity
It has come to my attention that many atheists believe that the argument from authority is essentially a fallacious argument. I am not going to argue that the argument from authority is, in essence, a fallacy. That is too obvious of a point to make. Of course the argument from authority is a real argument and not a blatant logical fallacy (and of course some arguments from authority are better than others and some are completely fallacious).

What I want to discuss is why someone would believe that the argument from authority is fallacious. What are the sorts of people that think the argument from authority is fallacious? I believe there are certain personality characteristics that go hand in hand.

1. Age - people that believe that the argument from authority is fallacious are typically under 25. Clearly this has to do with rebelliousness and rejecting established traditions. It is strongly related to religious epistemology. I strongly believe that the way that people reason when they are younger is very different from how they are when they get older. When people become older, they tend to not care as much about proving how smart they are or demanding that others recognize their novel abilities to do different things. There sense of self respect is defined in more professional and more carefully defined ways, such as work place achievement or in ministry or service to others. When people are younger, they tend to have a greater zeal to want to prove to others that the whole world is wrong and they are right. Not only is it wrong, but it is essentially valueless, not worth paying attention to, that everyone is wrong, that there are conspiracies and and dark shadows everywhere and that the only person wise and good enough to sort through this chaos is them.

2. Hubris - Hubris is a vice that is related to people having a greater sense of self confidence than is warranted given a certain situation. Related to the issue of intellectual authority, the issue of hubris becomes very important. If someone has hubris, they believe that their opinions are more likely to be true than other people who know much more than them, have professional credentials, in general could be expected to know more. Hubris is a very dangerous thing, it is a dangerous thing to imagine that you know more about things that are important. Once I was with a guy who believed that medication was evil and he thought that he had the ability to say, it is wrong to take medication. This is an example of the hubris of rejecting the argument from authority. When people reject the argument from authority when it is used properly, and think they, based on a specialized understanding of something can do a better job than others who know better than them, they are proud.

3. Over confidence in informal reason as a means to understand to understand the world. Reason is a valuable tool that can be used to understand the world. But it is limited. In the Enlightenment, people greatly exaggerated the power the reason has to describe the world. It is very very difficult to come to an accurate understanding of anything using purely informal methods of reasoning. This is connected with hubris, believing that your opinions are more important than they are, and thinking that opinions are actually intellectually valuable, when in fact, they are the product of perhaps at most, 10 or 15 hours of reflection. Most people underestimate the amount of time that it takes to truly understand something in all of its dimensions and completely appreciate its nature. Life is complicated, and cannot be reduced to simple pretentious phrases, designed to build political and intellectual movements and make people feel as if they are exercising critical thinking skills (when in reality they are being herded and taught to follow ideological logical methods that presuppose the result, undetected to the untrained eye) rather than give them the ability to directly interact with the main aspects of reasoning and science. It takes years to learn how to do this. And the people who do it disagree a lot.
RE: atheism, philosophy and emotional immaturity
I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
I think their are issues related to adolescent and young adult development that are involved in the rejection of the argument from authority that are significant to understanding the atheist approach to religious epistemology, and epistemology in general.
Quote:It has come to my attention that many atheists believe that the argument from authority is essentially a fallacious argument.

Only when you try to cite fallacious authorities...like a 2500 year old book of ancient bullshit.
Which people do this?
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
Saying that an argument from authority to the Bible is invalid because you don't accept the Bible is different from categorically rejecting the argument in order to advance that same goal, or a wider goal of youthful rebellion fueled by skepticism.
[Image: 51AE0BQXRXL._SL500_AA300_.gif]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
So what you're basically saying is you're older, smarter, wiser, and humbler than everyone else on the boards?

Seems legit.
The argument from authority is only effective if all parties to the debate accept the source as authoritative.
Even then, it's still a fallacy. Argument of authority, argument from popularity, increase the chance of something being true often, and depending on the subject, increase it significantly. But doctors even have prescribed things that ended up being discovered to be very harmful, and it was agreed upon by the authorities. And medical authority is the best authority out there, yet even then, it's not 100% immune to error.

I've said it before, argument from ignorance is also often a strong argument. If it wasn't strong at all, the problem of evil would not have bothered anyone nor would anyone use it as an argument. But it's a fallacy at the end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5601 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1439 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3608 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1617 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13044 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2652 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4947 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8286 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12062 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2269 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne