Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am at a weak point.
I am at a weak point.
I have heard religion described as poisoned mother's milk. In other words, if you are raised in a religion, and your social capital is derived from that religion, it is even more difficult to separate yourself from it.
This is my problem.

I am in a situation in which I have no family I can trust, not because they are religious, but because they are dysfunctional and have major issues that prevent them from being a supportive network. I am often tempted to return to religion and join a church, not because I believe the teachings, but because I need a close-knit community to belong to, especially when life gets rough.

Any ideas?
God is a personification of ourselves, what we wish to be, and that which we do not understand.
RE: I am at a weak point.
Join a church.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
do you go to school? look up some groups that share you beliefs and princples. do you have any hobbies? i love fishing( if the wheater ever permits lol), shooting my bow, playing guitar etc. i found these things help me release some tension and escape from all the B.S. if you do go to school take a philiosphy class or science class. you will have a higher probability of finding people you have things in common with there.
Rotary Club, Kiwanis, Freemasons, Elks...Volunteer for Hospice is also a good one.
Consider a Unitarian Universalist church. They are freethinker-friendly because their religious beliefs are not strict or dogmatic. They're a very diverse group with diverse beliefs.
Join a small church, one where people share your concerns, people tend to have trouble finding a place to fit in at larger churches.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 30, 2013 at 10:26 am)Rhythm Wrote: Join a church.

[Image: Cherna-facepalm.gif] ...or...

You could join any number of social groups and actually learn something that hasn't aided in keeping the human race in the dark for thousands of years.

A book club. A humanists group. A sexual addictions group. A fight club. A bicyclists group. Sign up for marathons, meet people and get in shape at the same time.

Or better yet ... DO ALL OF THEM! There are likely hundreds of hobbies that someone somewhere has set up some kind of social club around.

Church is for the lazy shits that don't want to make any effort towards real fulfillment.
[Image: Evolution.png]

LOL, cmon, if he joins a church, he'll just be back in a few months with an even broader picture of why he left in the first place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Stay away from churches....nothing but a bunch of bigoted assholes there.
There are other worthy organizations you could join in order to get the community you are missing. You may need to step out of your comfort zone to find one, and it may take a few times to find one that is a good fit, but they're out there.

Maybe start with 'The Secular Student Alliance'.

Why would you want to return to a superstitious dogma that believes you are destined for eternal torture for a finite thought crime? Certainly you could do better.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3641 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What is the point of religious billboards? Cecelia 17 4071 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 15683 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8042 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My point of view on religion. Vegamo 0 1127 April 2, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Vegamo
  How to argue this point? Arkwright 18 3034 October 22, 2014 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  At which point can a state shut down and forbid a religion? Something completely different 11 4646 September 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Davidthegoliath
  What Is The Point Of Prayer? BrianSoddingBoru4 306 112556 August 26, 2013 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Bad Writer
  What's the point? The Reality Salesman01 22 6386 July 9, 2013 at 11:32 am
Last Post: evenheathen
  ZION OLYMPICS point indirectly to AUSTRALIA Stevie 9 5746 July 21, 2012 at 8:51 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko