Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another...
Yet Another...
Hello Forum. I have always been bad at introductions but here it goes.

I am 15yrs old and am currently attending High School in Canada. I was born into a Christian home and from an early age was pretty much forced to believe in dGod, believing all of it as it was what my parents told me was right, and when you are young your parents are infallible. As I got older I began to feel there was something wrong, and at the age of 12 I realised I was an atheist. Upon this realisation I became calmer and happier and life made more sense. I had reached an understanding, albeit minor, with the world around me. Unfortunately I was unable to figure out a way to tell my all-Christian family. As a result I was unable to enjoy life due to having to pretend that I was still one of them. I believe this has played a role in the depression that has plagued me in recent years.

I am stuck in a Bible Belt, and the consequences are that I've only ever me one atheist, my Science teacher. I acknowledge the fact that there are likely more, but to be an atheist is taboo, and they will likely receive much of the true "Christian Love." I have come to this forum to meet with fellow atheists, and get a better understanding about the world around me. From my brief glance into this Forum I am sure I will enjoy this place. I am extremely shy online, and so please give me some time to warm up.

Thanks for reading. In closing I have a pressing question to ask. Should I come out of the closet and potentially lose lifelong friends, create a rift in the family, and lose all freedoms I have gained from trust, but in exchange feel free to live my life my way. Rather should I continue to suffer silently and wait until I graduate to let my family know?
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will of lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
-Marcus Aurelius (Maybe)
RE: Yet Another...
Welcome to the forums!
You should certainly come out, but... Wait until you're able to stand on your own feet.
Such news can cause tragic things to happen in families.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome Enjoy the forums.
Welcome
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
A person goes through many changes of identity throughout life. You may not always be an atheist just as I may someday become one. The best thing about this forum is that you will be exposed to many different points of view and ways of reasoning about God or the lack thereof.
Yes we will blame Canada. And there is no way as young as you are you will understand this reference "Hoser". Not that you are, but am admittedly showing my age. The old fogies here will get that joke.

Anywho, be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NHL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.
Guten Abend
There's a Canadian Bible Belt? You learn something new everyday.

Welcome. Smile
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet Another Refugee Paleophyte 23 2352 November 18, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Aliza
Smile Yet another new member thool 26 4519 November 23, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: thool
  Yet another godless unbeliever LeftyMatt 18 2305 August 9, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The descent had destroyed me, but yet, I live. WinterHold 20 2822 March 9, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Yet another TTA drifter... EvolutionKills 30 4825 February 14, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: null--69
  YADC (yet another dot commer) CaseAgainstFaith 15 2995 June 2, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Mahafsoun NM
  Not introduced myself yet Rob 4 1142 July 31, 2010 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Yet Another Newbie Pope Alfred 20 5863 November 27, 2009 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet