Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jane Goodall is now anti-GMO [rolling eyes]
Jane Goodall is now anti-GMO [rolling eyes]
http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2013/0...eir-ranks/

We really should start a massive thread of anti-GMO twattery.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Jane Goodall is now anti-GMO [rolling eyes]
It's so wrong it's not even funny. As for GMOs, I'm a bit sceptical, because I don't really know what kind of impact it will have for environment (i.e. insects which eats plants, birds which eats insects, etc.). I'll read a few reviews on this subject and maybe then I'll be in better position to comment on GMOs.
So she doesn't eat carrots or bananas?
Way to necropost...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(June 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm)the antithesis Wrote: So she doesn't eat carrots or bananas?

Those aren't examples of GMOs.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
They are, strictly speaking - but we've begun to use the term GMO to refer not to organisms that have been genetically modified - but the manner in which modification has been achieved. Bananas and roundup ready corn are both artefacts -insomuch as any crop can be-.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They are, strictly speaking - but we've begun to use the term GMO to refer not to organisms that have been genetically modified - but the manner in which modification has been achieved. Bananas and roundup ready corn are both artefacts -insomuch as any crop can be-.

Don't forget common wheat (Triticum aestivum) . We bread them by crossing THREE different species. Yes, it is allohexaploid. Isn't it fascinating, that you can make an organisms which has chromosomes from three different organisms and it still can reproduce? And not just reproduce, but has become an entire new species Smile
I don't know, Summer....I don't feel particularly comfortable with a scumbag corporation like Monsanto screwing around with things so they can make even bigger profits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/e...story.html

Quote:Japan, the largest market for U.S. wheat exports, suspended imports from the United States and canceled a major purchase of white wheat on Thursday after the recent discovery of unapproved genetically modified wheat in an 80-acre field in Oregon.

How the altered crop made its way to the Oregon field remains a mystery. The strain was developed by Monsanto to make wheat resistant to the company’s own industry-leading weed killer. Monsanto tested the type of altered seed in more than a dozen states, including Oregon, between 1994 and 2005, but it was never approved for commercial use.

Trustworthy is not the first word that comes to mind with any of these corporate pricks.
Probably mislabeled stock, Monsanto would have sued the shit out of the grower otherwise...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They are, strictly speaking - but we've begun to use the term GMO to refer not to organisms that have been genetically modified - but the manner in which modification has been achieved. Bananas and roundup ready corn are both artefacts -insomuch as any crop can be-.

Is the manner of modification so different? It's my (very possibly mistaken) understanding that both Cavendish bananas and the Roundup-ready crops were both created through selective breeding for desirable traits. Or is it that the Roundup-ready GMOs were chemically treated that's at issue?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "GMO Causes Cancer" Study thesummerqueen 4 1806 October 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  GMO Labeling and "The China Scenario" thesummerqueen 2 2043 May 23, 2012 at 2:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  GMO Toxins and Pregnant Women thesummerqueen 28 9088 December 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The GMO Thread thesummerqueen 34 6826 August 16, 2011 at 9:06 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  GMO Bluegrass The Grand Nudger 4 2651 July 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: fr0d0