Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public event in Melbourne: Average Atheists - call for speakers
Public event in Melbourne: Average Atheists - call for speakers
__
A

One problem facing atheists is that of perception among theists. Many theists are only hearing about atheism from prominent scientists and philosophers, basing their counter arguments on positions held by those particular atheists. While I agree with the ideas many of those scientists and philosophers espouse, I came to many of those ideas on my own and can express myself coherently on those matters, as is the case with many other common or garden atheists. I would like to make the fact that atheists are not exclusively academics, but part of every demographic other than those arbitrary ones with a religious label, more widely known, the ambition being to assuage some of the demonisation with which atheists are regularly targeted.

The Global Atheist Conventions drew well known speakers together to speak to an audience of atheists, in part as a means to engender a sense of community. The events were highly successful on this front, but I see a need for atheists to reach outside the communities they are making, both online and in their daily lives, to help religious people understand what they are, what they are not, and what they want.

To this end, I am organising a public event in Melbourne – Average Atheists. This will comprise five atheist speakers, drawn by lot from a pool of potential candidates, speaking for five minutes each to an audience of theists. By making it a random, or at least haphazard, selection of speakers, I hope to show that the average atheist has something relevant to say to theists. I realise fear of public speaking will likely skew the potential pool of speakers toward activists comfortable at a podium, but this can’t be helped, and Average Atheists is far catchier than Modal Atheists Willing to Speak in Public. I think the standard deviations will be kept somewhere near a true value around the mean if GAC presenters and similarly publicly visible atheists are excluded from the potential speaker pool.

I would also like to exclude theist trolls and sheep in atheist clothing from the pool, and so will not be accepting potential speaker volunteers with less than a one month long history (as of today) of posting online as an overt atheist.

Whether the proposed title of the event is mathematically valid or not, I would like to use the mechanism to allow a handful of atheists to speak their five hundred or so words on what they think is important, to an audience who might be surprised by what they hear.

Average Atheists will be held at Embiggen Books on the 7th of June between seven and eight pm. If you could attend and would be willing to speak if your number came up, please make yourself known via PM and start thinking about exactly what you want the religious to know about you and your godless ways. Random selection from the potential speaker pool, overseen by a professional statistician, will occur on the 1st of June to give speakers lead in time to hone their presenting skills and build up a good head of butterflies.

I encourage atheists, whether based in Melbourne or not, to write the presentation they would give, given the opportunity, even if the thought of public speaking makes their skin crawl. The exercise might help people bring their goals into focus, and that’s always good in terms of gaining traction toward said goals.

A note on presenting: You can say a lot in five minutes, but the people I find most compelling at the podium speak clearly and leave themselves time to think/check their notes/take a sip of water/let a point sink in. A hundred words a minute is a rough guide I gave myself based on timing Dan Barker's output. This is not a hard and fast limit, but five minutes time at the podium is.
RE: Public event in Melbourne: Average Atheists - call for speakers
I don't drive and I'm poor so how long would it take to walk and swim the required 10,000 odd miles? Tongue

Good luck on your event anyway Smile
(April 3, 2013 at 8:02 am)Insanity x Wrote: I don't drive and I'm poor so how long would it take to walk and swim the required 10,000 odd miles? Tongue

Good luck on your event anyway Smile

Half as long as to swim and walk the entire distance.

Probably easier to organise an equivalent event where you are, what with having to cover the even miles just in order to cover the odd ones.
Thanks for the well wishing. It might yet fall in a heap or turn to ashes in my mouth, but I'll give it a red hot go.
One month out from kicking the randomised speaker selection process into gear, there's still plenty of time to put your name in the hat.
Are you an atheist?
Do you have something you would like to tell an audience of theists?
Are you able to do so at Embiggen Books in Melbourne, Australia on the 7th of June?
If so, please let me know. We have enough potential speakers to run the event but the more we have in the hat, the better the randomisation will perform in selecting a representative cross section of the atheist demographic. Also, if the event is a success, there's scope for further events. You only have to write your presentation once, but this project has the potential to get some meaningful dialogue going between atheists and theists at the grass roots level.
The awesome RMT got a facebook page going http://www.facebook.com/AverageAtheists?ref=hl

And remember, you don't have to be able or willing to attend to find value in writing your presentation. The exercise itself has merit, and there's nothing to stop someone kicking this off in their own area. Well, nothing on my side. There might be tremendous bigotry where you are and people willing to kick your arse for speaking up like this, in which case I advise you keep your head down, but there's definitely no copyright or intellectual property claim at this end to prevent other people taking this idea up.
Goodluck with the project mate!

Seems good so far. Thumb up
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Random selection of speakers from the available pool of potential volunteers will occur on the 1st of June. If you haven't been in touch and would like to have your name in the hat, please make contact ASAP.
The audience are keen, the lectern awaits...
Proof of concept: it went well.
You can make a random selection of garden variety atheists and hear substantive, humanitarian ideas expressed sincerely. No book burning rhetoric, no anti-theistic sentiments, just five voices speaking to desires for the future of Australian society.
With one speaker ill and one a no-show, I read two pieces. One from Marnie Simpson, who couldn't attend, being crook, and one from an anonymous contributor who is unwilling to make their atheism public due to concerns reagrding their employment. Both were well written and thoughtful, and even had the evening been a complete dud, getting these people's ideas crystalised to that extent would seem worthwhile to me. I recommend the exercise to anyone who wants to see a change in the way religion affects their community in their lifetime, as it makes the verbs show up clearly.
Four of the presentations covered very similar ground, and while this redundancy of message could be considered dull for an audience, I came away from the evening with the message that average atheists are independently able to come to the same central conclusion and to express it well - people are free to believe what they like, but not to impose the outcomes of those beliefs on those who do not share them.
The hardest part of getting this event together was sourcing the audience. The size of the venue had me concerned that an open invitation could see us swamped, so I sent out invitations asking for a handful of representatives from each major religion and denomination represented in the Melbourne community. In spite of lip service given to a desire for dialogue, few theists were eager to hear from average atheists. Some of those I approached have written or spoken at length about what atheists are and what they want, but did not even return emails or phone calls about an event which could offer them direct access to the people their words attempt to characterise. Accounting for apologies given for illness and other hurdles to attendance, only a third of those who agreed to attend actually turned up, leaving the theists in the audience outnumbered by the atheist speakers and their friends. Happily, the presentations led to discussions I would like to see carried forward with the congregations represented. Sadly, the congregations represented are probably those least likely to be surprised by what they heard on the night, but it's a start, and I'm happy with that.
Events in other cities? An event in a larger venue with an openly advertised invitation? Events with different religions, or denominations within a religion? I'm open to ideas from all comers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate, Melbourne, Australia, June 30th worldslaziestbusker 2 1220 July 4, 2016 at 5:30 am
Last Post: worldslaziestbusker
  Debate, Melbourne, Australia, June 30th worldslaziestbusker 0 717 June 16, 2016 at 9:09 pm
  Melbourne debate: late notice; messengers - don't shoot them worldslaziestbusker 6 1844 September 21, 2015 at 6:17 am
  Public relations director or American Atheists comes out as transgender TaraJo 21 4986 November 18, 2014 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Melbourne fund raising for secular school where a secular school is much needed. worldslaziestbusker 0 1109 May 17, 2014 at 8:40 am
  Islamic Religious Leaders call for Hanging of Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh JesusHChrist 34 7949 May 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Melbourne Atheists worldslaziestbusker 0 1135 November 25, 2012 at 2:40 am
  Court green-lights atheists’ ads on Arkansas public buses Judas BentHer 7 2947 August 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb