Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Better reasons to quit Christianity
[split] Better reasons to quit Christianity
(August 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm)spockrates Wrote: What are they? Reason for asking: I've been told by thoughtful atheists that looking for logical contradictions in Christian beliefs, or within the pages of the Bible is a waste of time. The explanation given is that there are much better reasons to give up on being Christian. I'm just wondering what the better reasons are so I can try them on and see how they fit.

Smile

Given the number of thoughtful people who became Christians, or at least called Jesus' teachings "the most sublime and benevolent code of morals every recorded," how do you know you met a thoughtful atheist?
RE: Better reasons to quit Christianity
Sounds like a lot of people were blithering idiots. The christ narrative is horrendous. Sublime and benevolent.. Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 2, 2013 at 10:32 am)radorth Wrote:
(August 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm)spockrates Wrote: What are they? Reason for asking: I've been told by thoughtful atheists that looking for logical contradictions in Christian beliefs, or within the pages of the Bible is a waste of time. The explanation given is that there are much better reasons to give up on being Christian. I'm just wondering what the better reasons are so I can try them on and see how they fit.

Smile

Given the number of thoughtful people who became Christians, or at least called Jesus' teachings "the most sublime and benevolent code of morals every recorded," how do you know you met a thoughtful atheist?

Anecdotal experience?
(August 14, 2012 at 5:29 pm)spockrates Wrote: Thinking

Let's see:

More sleep, more money, more time not wasted, more food choices, more guilt-free good times. Curious about one of those: How can I know the deity does not exist? I mean, if I'm not pretty sure God is not, I might be taking a big risk:
  • God exists, I don't give a hoot about God - I lose after I die

• God exists, I do give a hoot about God - I win after I die

• God does not exist, I don't give a hoot about God - I break even after I die

• God does not exist, I give a hoot about God - I break even after I die

Seems to me that if I play the odds, the best I can hope for if God does not exist and I don't care is to break even (for I won't exist, either). If God does exists and I don't care, the best I can hope for is to lose (for I might end up in hell). Unless, of course Catholics are correct, then I might break even in Purgatory.

Smile

Thanks everyone. Don't have time to reply to everyone else right now (promised to spend time playing the XBox with my son). I'll reply later.

Smile

Over 300 posts and our reward is yet another iteration of Pascal's Wager?

Carry on, I'm sure if the God of Christianity who is known for his acceptance of the wishy-washy is real, he'll be glad to take the people who believe in him 'just-in-case' into his holy bosom.
(September 9, 2012 at 4:48 am)Phish Wrote: Be a part of a logical,smart, developed community that is based on tolerance and logic thinking.

Like the one Karl Marx said he was starting?

Good grief, what have you developed except some scientific theories like there are probably 11 dimensions and a hydrogen bomb?

With the notable exception of some medical discoveries, the Christians hold virtually all the records for helping their fellow men, many medical, but primarily democratic and social achievements. (See Luke 4 for the reason)

Those are Seventh Day Adventist hospitals, not Seventh Day Atheist hospitals.

(April 2, 2013 at 11:01 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Anecdotal experience?

That's not permitted here.Big Grin
Boogeymen and delusions of grandeur. meh
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 3, 2013 at 2:02 am)radorth Wrote:
(September 9, 2012 at 4:48 am)Phish Wrote: Be a part of a logical,smart, developed community that is based on tolerance and logic thinking.

Like the one Karl Marx said he was starting?

Care to quote where Marx said that? And when did Marx start a society anyway?

(April 3, 2013 at 2:02 am)radorth Wrote: Good grief, what have you developed except some scientific theories like there are probably 11 dimensions and a hydrogen bomb?

It's nice for you to give us credit for all of modern physics, but theists did a fair bit, too.

(April 3, 2013 at 2:02 am)radorth Wrote: With the notable exception of some medical discoveries, the Christians hold virtually all the records for helping their fellow men, many medical, but primarily democratic and social achievements. (See Luke 4 for the reason)

See Greek and Roman civilization and the Enlightenment for the reason. The bits in between were not that impressive in comparison.

That said, sure, theists have accomplished a lot. So have atheists. Our accomplishments were not BECAUSE we were theists (including theists who weren't Christians) and atheists. They were because some of us are smart and creative and diligent in our fields of expertise, regardless of religious belief or a lack thereof.

(April 3, 2013 at 2:02 am)radorth Wrote: Those are Seventh Day Adventist hospitals, not Seventh Day Atheist hospitals.

Yes, to my knowledge there are no secular hospitals or even hospitals founded by atheists that have the word 'atheist' in the name. Surely you don't think that means there aren't any?
RE: [split] Better reasons to quit Christianity
Allright, I've split this one as it came from a necropost, please consider making new threads if you want to continue the topic on a dead thread, for now its done, carry on.
RE: [split] Better reasons to quit Christianity
I'm insulted you would ask such a stupid fucking question as "how do you know you've met a thoughtful atheist?" Not personally insulted, mind, I don't give two fucks what you or any of the other theists on this board think of me, but fuck if I'll let that pass considering all the other wickedly intelligent people who are on this board that you apparently wish to demean and ignore.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 2, 2013 at 10:44 am)Rhythm Wrote: Sounds like a lot of people were blithering idiots. The christ narrative is horrendous. Sublime and benevolent.. Jerkoff

Thomas Jefferson is a blithering idot? "The most sublime and benevolent code of morals ever recorded" are his words, not mine.

Interesting.

(April 3, 2013 at 10:34 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Care to quote where Marx said that? And when did Marx start a society anyway?

ROFLOL

That's funny.

Quote:Yes, to my knowledge there are no secular hospitals or even hospitals founded by atheists that have the word 'atheist' in the name. Surely you don't think that means there aren't any?

I would not say there are none. There are those in Cuba, and some semi- advanced ones in Russia and China, but that's because they would have none at all if the state hadn't started them. If you can name some started by small groups of atheists with private money, you will have a point. How would I know. Maybe some rich crooked Russion oligarch started one recently. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 30821 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 57987 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 7683 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 59840 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3901 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6746 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13680 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Religion doesn't make you a better person dyresand 3 2121 August 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  [split] Big Announcement and Invitation LastPoet 77 11022 May 24, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Randy Carson
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6527 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue