Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was evil created?
When was evil created?
In another thread there is an ongoing discussion about adam, sin and evil. The discussion brought up another thought that I think needs to be addressed.

Yesterday I sat down and read about half of genesis. In the creation story, genesis covers the creation of heaven and Earth, plants, water, beasts and man. But there is no mention of the creation of angels.

So when eve was tempted and ate the fruit, she was deceived into doing so by the serpent. I gathered in my reading that the serpent represented evil, if not satan himself (if it wasn't evil or satan, then where did it come from since evil didn't exist until lucifer fell?). That means that the angels had to have been created and lucifer had to have fallen fallen at some point BEFORE god created everything else. Otherwise, satan (or evil) would not have been around to tempt eve.

However, genesis makes no mention of the creation of angels unless you think that they were created as part of heaven or the firmament or something else that was directly mentioned. If that is the case, wouldn't angels be important enough to mention specifically in the creation story? Also, this would mean that lucifer fell during the first days of creation and that isn't mentioned either.

Am I missing something? Drich, GC, Strudel, Catfud?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
RE: When was evil created?
In Genesis 6:1-4, it makes mention of sons of god. Some scholars believe these sons of god to have been fallen angels.

As far as the bible making mention of when god created the angels, there is no such scripture. If it is uncertain when god created the angels, one of whom was lucifer who turned against god and introduced evil into the world via god's omniscience, then the introduction of sin into the world may or may not have happened according to genesis and eve partaking of the fruit after being tricked by the snake (possibly lucifer).
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm)Mr Infidel Wrote: In Genesis 6:1-4, it makes mention of sons of god. Some scholars believe these sons of god to have been fallen angels.

I reread the passage and I can see that as a reasonable idea.

However, the question remains. WHEN were they created? Genesis 6 merely says they were on the earth in those days but says nothing about where they came from.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(April 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm)Baalzebutt Wrote: However, the question remains. WHEN were they created?

I was editing my post as you posted this.
~ Erin Hunter
Job 38:6,7-- On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone— while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Some Bibles use "sons of God" in place of "all the angels," but I would take that to mean the same thing. It implies that the angels were present when god began to create the Earth.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I'm going to go with "The Bush Administration" for my answer....although I think that fuckhead Reagan really got them on the path.
(April 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm)Tonus Wrote: Job 38:6,7-- On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone— while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Some Bibles use "sons of God" in place of "all the angels," but I would take that to mean the same thing. It implies that the angels were present when god began to create the Earth.

So it just wasn't important enough to mention in genesis?

Weird.

No wonder I don't believe any of this ridiculous hogwash.
It's too bad actually, that it isn't mentioned. It could make a helluva story Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm)Baalzebutt Wrote: So it just wasn't important enough to mention in genesis?

That makes me wonder if either of the writers of the creation accounts even believed in angels. As far as I can tell (very little knowledge on this topic), the ancient mythologies were mostly populated by greater gods and lesser gods. When did the notion of armies of creatures that stood somewhere between men and god first appear?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm)Baalzebutt Wrote: So it just wasn't important enough to mention in genesis?

Perhaps in a different account of genesis or in an Apocrypha book it may have been mentioned.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2351 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 710 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5853 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10264 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I've Created a New Religion Rhondazvous 11 1765 October 12, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2564 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 20350 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15560 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The forces of good and evil are related Foxaèr 11 3561 October 2, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45710 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich