Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do I stand?
Where do I stand?
I finally have The God Delusion book by Dawkins!! A close friend of mine that is an atheist got it for me.

I think it would be wise to read the holy bible first, and then The God Delusion after, to see where I stand with my faith.

Any suggestion or advice would be helpful

Amp
RE: Where do I stand?
The fact that you are even asking the question coupled with the fact that you call it the Holy Bible coupled with the fact that you describe 'your faith' makes me think that we are soon to see your religious views change to christian.

Personally I suspect that your vulnerability towards theism is too great to start reading the Bible as you wouldn't be doing it with a critical mind. Far better to read the God Delusion first as after you will have a far better level of protection for when you do read the Bible and hopefully you will see it as the superstitious ramblings of the unenlightened age it surely is.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Dawkins is a better read - if you can stand the ignorance.
And the Bible is fantastic - From the word Fantasy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I have trouble getting past page 2. That's the bible, not The God Delusion.

TGD is my favourite book of all time. So you can guess which I'd recommend.

EvF
(September 7, 2009 at 8:09 pm)Darwinian Wrote: makes me think that we are soon to see your religious views change to christian.

I would say don't be so quick to judge, but you do have a very good point there.

(September 7, 2009 at 8:09 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Personally I suspect that your vulnerability towards theism is too great to start reading the Bible as you wouldn't be doing it with a critical mind.

And right you are.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will be reading TGD first.

Amp
The bible is a good read if you shuffle past the begats (Yeesh).

I would suggest the OT which is full of people tolchoking and knifing each other. The NT is all preachy talking and loving one another; very different from the ultraviolence in the OT.

Darwinian makes a good point that starting with "The God Delusion" would shore you up against the pull of theism. That is why I think you should read the bible first to make your conversion story better. Smile Take the road that SHOULD lead to theism, end up at atheism and surprise yourself. Either way, increasing knowledge is a good thing. Smile

Rhizo
I think the important thing when you embark upon this journey, is to remain open-minded and never allow yourself to accept anything without factual evidence.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
No no no! Read the bible first, and start in the very beginning! You will learn to DESPISE it only then. You will be unable to read past Leviticus without losing your last meal... I was too sickened by it to read anything past that, last i tried.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
If you read the bible from cover to cover you discover it makes as much narrative sense as a dictionary read from cover to cover.
Turns out the Zebra did it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you stand on the existence of God? Catholic_Lady 276 40707 December 15, 2015 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Reflex
  Unfortunately the atheist will have to stand up and go DOS 233 62634 December 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Unfortunately the atheist will have to stand up and go DOS 2 1063 December 3, 2013 at 7:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  If you were going to take a stand against religion outside a church... Loki_999 16 4948 April 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Loki_999