Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video)
Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video)
Just watched this segment from a discussion and just loved the answer from Richard!

Science - It Works, Bitches!

Great stuff!

RE: Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video)
(April 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm)Woody68 Wrote: Just watched this segment from a discussion and just loved the answer from Richard!

Science - It Works, Bitches!

Great stuff!

PRICELESS!!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
RE: Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video)
This is the main argument I'll be addressing in the Presup video I'm working on. The only thought-provoking part of Presuppositional Apologetics is how do we justify the use of logic without appealing to logic. Apologists who use this tactic will sometimes claim it is "circular reasoning" to say "it works and so we use it because it works."

In the first place, I think this is a misunderstanding of what constitutes "circular reasoning". Saying "it works" and then demonstrating that "it works" are two references, one supporting the other, not one reference supporting itself. There is the claim and then there is the demonstration.

More importantly, the choice of rationality over superstition is also a lifestyle that requires no justification. I don't have to explain my preference for a type of food or an article of clothing. Hence, it is not circular reasoning to say that I like how a certain food tastes or how a piece of clothing looks. Preferences require no justification.

Why do we prefer life over death, pleasure over pain or companionship over loneliness? Any logical justifications of any of these things would be "circular" by the reasoning of the Presuppositionalist. There are certain preferences that are matters of taste that require no justification. We prefer them simply because we do.

Now if someone doesn't share my tastes with regards to food or clothing, I would say, "well, don't order it" or "well, don't buy it" then. If you prefer to live in a civilization that operates by magical thinking or superstition, there are communities or even countries that will better suit your taste.

I prefer science and reason to religion and superstition and want to live in a society that reflects these values. And that requires no further justification.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Dawkins & Nightwish iameatingjam 3 1743 February 5, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: shadow
  Colbert Works Over The WLB on Trumpcare Minimalist 0 310 March 28, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  John Oliver Works Over Australia Minimalist 0 731 May 18, 2015 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Nightwish Album on Darwin, with Dawkins as narrator Alex K 12 2950 April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am
Last Post: DiRNiS
  Christian Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Creed of Heresy 14 2292 February 11, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polar bear
Video 'Love letters' to Richard Dawkins Cyberman 28 4344 January 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Bitches be crazy! BrokenQuill92 5 1202 February 15, 2014 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Dawkins reads hate mail on youtube. Brian37 6 2347 November 3, 2013 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Owlix
  Dawkins: Sex, Death And The Meaning Of Life Justtristo 4 2251 January 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Dawkins and Degrasse Tyson - Poetry of Science thesummerqueen 2 1748 November 6, 2012 at 1:16 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko