Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone really give a damn?
Does anyone really give a damn?
Anyway, atheist since age 13 or so which would be 1958 in common terms. I am hated by professional haters and googling my name, Matt Giwer, will prove to even the most skeptical. One can also google groups for The Iron Webmaster who is also me. I have used many handles. So many in fact that more are attributed to me than I have used and no list of my handles has ever been complete.

My sig has most of the material relevant to this website. The shorter url Welcome to My World has some 3.5 GB more material. I doubt anyone has an interest.

Anyway related to this I had a cardiac event, aka heart attack, in November and then two more within half an hour in December and now have an implanted defibrillator.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING SOCIALLY CORRECT! It annoys me. One should not do that until the person is really and truly dead and cannot be annoyed.

I post this for a reason. Believers like to warn us about how we will feel on our deathbeds and such. Been there, done that twice. First off no tunnel, no light, no voice saying I can finish my video game after dinner.

There was also a total ambivalence, no reaction at all, to the fact that I nearly died. After the first the idea that a second was highly likely did not bother me in the least. And the second pair changed only one thing. Projects I had sort of planned or projected on the multi-year level were being replaced by multi-month long projects. At most a sense of realism in planning for the future.

The point of all of this is either deathbed behavior is christian urban legend or only believers feel compelled to believe harder.

I am an old fart. I have had my share of opportunities to die by accident or intent and thinking of those does often invoke an emotional response. The empty elevator shaft 12 stories down is one I wish my mind would stop recalling, call it a form of PTSD but the short form. So I not immune to fear of high risk of imminent mortality.

Deathbed stories are nothing but christian urban legends that at most affect only believers.

If I were to analyze it, I always had something better to think about. For a week I can't say I was conscious but I had dreams/hallucinations sort of mimicking consciousness. But after the breathing tube came out I was thinking of the sore throat and of sleeping not about any immortal soul. And after a few days of mostly sleeping and not caring there came the "this place is driving me crazy" phase and my thoughts were to get home and back to my interests. Any thought of almost being dead was no more than an attending physician might have. Completely detached.

And I noticed the absence of the christian urban legend as soon as I was in the "this place is driving me crazy" phase. I noticed being 100% normal as soon as all the drugs wore off. I noticed I was surprised at not having the urban legend response.

I have said the same thing in as many different ways as I can think of to get the idea across. Dead is dead. Done that three times. I am not impressed. It is a meaningless thing. Dying is easy. Coming back is the hard part.

Leaving your family and/or loved ones? It is going to happen eventually unless they leave you first. When is hardly an important issue. Besides, lets be real here, half of them are probably relieved you are gone.

And yes I am being flippant about it because that is the only style the subject merits. This is not a writing style but the way it is.
RE: Does anyone really give a damn?
Hello Matt.
(April 10, 2013 at 5:12 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Anyway, atheist since age 13 or so which would be 1958 in common terms. I am hated by professional haters and googling my name, Matt Giwer, will prove to even the most skeptical. One can also google groups for The Iron Webmaster who is also me. I have used many handles. So many in fact that more are attributed to me than I have used and no list of my handles has ever been complete.
Hated by professional haters? That's an interesting choice of words. The Christianity-correct response would be for an Xian to say "I don't hate anyone", but often they're lying. So take it from someone who will admit freely to you that there are people I hate - that I certainly don't hate you. I find it illogical that a person would hate someone who has not caused them harm or grief in some way.

I think you have it wrong. You are not "hated by professional haters". Your character - your online persona - incites a certain response from a number of people. One which, instead of manning up and admitting to, you are downplaying by labelling the people who give you the response you demand from them as professional haters right alongside Westboro Baptist and Neo Nazi's.
Quote:Anyway related to this I had a cardiac event, aka heart attack, in November and then two more within half an hour in December and now have an implanted defibrillator.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING SOCIALLY CORRECT! It annoys me. One should not do that until the person is really and truly dead and cannot be annoyed.
Yeah well, if you knew that your personal situation is sensitive to you, then why did you post about it on a forum where you don't have many friends? I don't mean to sound rude - but why not post it instead on a forum where you have your own supporters - where presumably you've been active longer than 3 months?
Quote:I post this for a reason. Believers like to warn us about how we will feel on our deathbeds and such. Been there, done that twice. First off no tunnel, no light, no voice saying I can finish my video game after dinner.

The point of all of this is either deathbed behavior is christian urban legend or only believers feel compelled to believe harder.

Deathbed stories are nothing but christian urban legends that at most affect only believers.

And I noticed the absence of the christian urban legend as soon as I was in the "this place is driving me crazy" phase. I noticed being 100% normal as soon as all the drugs wore off. I noticed I was surprised at not having the urban legend response.

I have said the same thing in as many different ways as I can think of to get the idea across. Dead is dead. Done that three times. I am not impressed. It is a meaningless thing. Dying is easy. Coming back is the hard part.
You're an opinionated person Matt. What about your testimony is more or less authoritative than that of someone else who has faced a similar situation and had an alternate experience? Are you actually saying their experiences are not valid? Why can't you just be happy to attest to what you experienced and leave it at that, why attack all the people who have had different experiences to you? We all experience life in our own ways you know!
Quote:There was also a total ambivalence, no reaction at all, to the fact that I nearly died.
You nearly died before registering on this forum. It predates your registration date. None of us knew who you were when you "nearly died"! Again, why post about it on THIS forum in the first place? Surely there are other forums you're a member of where someone knew you before Jan 8 2013?

My brother's friend last year got leukemia at 25, nearly died.

When I read your posts Matt, I read you as someone who does not believe that other people should be allowed to think for themselves if they're going to disagree with you.

-edit to add-
Please don't take this post the wrong way!

Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Hi. Weird to greet a member who has been around for awhile, but welcome nevertheless Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I don't. Except to point out that in your diatribe you should change all of the you's into I's and the your's into mine's...
(April 10, 2013 at 6:22 am)catfish Wrote: I don't. Except to point out that in your diatribe you should change all of the you's into I's and the your's into mine's...

A grammatical challenge!

Cursed be he who cries first hold, Enough!

(April 10, 2013 at 6:15 am)Aractus Wrote: Hello Matt

Dumb ass. I have been in public debate since 1980. That is before most people here were born and likely when you were still in diapers at best. And my public debate in those days was on the RELIGION AND POLITICS BBS run by Bob Shuck. Please stop pretending you know what you are talking about. My website has 3.5 GB of content. Are you going to pretend a silly blog is competitive? I blogged before there were blogs. URL upon request, asshole.
Does anyone really give a damn? Maybe someone does. I don't... but I might be convinced to. Money helps Wink

Dying would be easy if I was just this side of completely selfish, or had no friends or family who might be affected by my death.

Such a pain to have to keep living because you committed the crime of being likable when you are infact a totally worthless ruined vessel. -_-
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 10, 2013 at 6:38 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Dumb ass. I have been in public debate since 1980. That is before most people here were born and likely when you were still in diapers at best. And my public debate in those days was on the RELIGION AND POLITICS BBS run by Bob Shuck. Please stop pretending you know what you are talking about. My website has 3.5 GB of content. Are you going to pretend a silly blog is competitive? I blogged before there were blogs. URL upon request, asshole.
Yeah I think that sums it up.

Good luck receiving honest feedback here from someone else. And I do mean that sincerely, and NOT sarcastically.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(April 10, 2013 at 6:38 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Dumb ass. I have been in public debate since 1980. That is before most people here were born and likely when you were still in diapers at best. And my public debate in those days was on the RELIGION AND POLITICS BBS run by Bob Shuck. Please stop pretending you know what you are talking about. My website has 3.5 GB of content. Are you going to pretend a silly blog is competitive? I blogged before there were blogs. URL upon request, asshole.

Real Alaskans don't wear diapers. We shit where we goddamn well please!
(April 10, 2013 at 7:14 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Does anyone really give a damn? Maybe someone does. I don't... but I might be convinced to. Money helps Wink

Dying would be easy if I was just this side of completely selfish, or had no friends or family who might be affected by my death.

Such a pain to have to keep living because you committed the crime of being likable when you are infact a totally worthless ruined vessel. -_-

I can guarantee you this. Dying is so easy anyone can do it. Everyone does do it eventually. It is hardly worth note.
(April 10, 2013 at 7:37 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: I can guarantee you this. Dying is so easy anyone can do it. Everyone does do it eventually. It is hardly worth note.

And yet you go and make a massive post about... dying.

Hate to see you on anything you think is worth noting Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damn Garth 8 1471 March 23, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Give atheist a hug Sonah 11 942 October 8, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
Rainbow My intro brings all the forumers to my thread. Damn right, its better than yours. TheStateIsALie 54 15065 July 16, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Another one of those damn TTA-ers Tartarus Sauce 21 5561 March 8, 2013 at 7:11 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  hey give suggestions if ud like:3 bandoncontortion 9 3389 January 25, 2012 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: bandoncontortion
  Damn server crash.. Hello again. TheAtheologist 10 3211 March 30, 2011 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Zen Badger