Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fence-sitter taking the plunge
Fence-sitter taking the plunge
Hi all,

Thanks for clicking on the thread title to get to this point Smile

I have a pretty typical story - indoctrinated into the religion of my parents, almost always felt there was something off (logical inconsistencies), became agnostic for more than a decade, and finally took the plunge towards atheism a few months ago (post reading Dawkins' "God Delusion").

It was an awakening experience.

Anyways - thanks for creating this great community. I lurked all of last night and really enjoyed the discussions. Decided to join this morning.

Hope to contribute something of value over time.
RE: Fence-sitter taking the plunge
Welcome.
I hope you brought your floaties, shit gets pretty deep around here. Wink
Welcome
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yo hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

• became agnostic for more than a decade, and finally took the plunge towards atheism a few months ago (post reading Dawkins' "God Delusion").
Really? The atheists here keep telling me that there's no difference! Big Grin

Welcome anyway!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(April 10, 2013 at 5:53 am)Free Thinker Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks for clicking on the thread title to get to this point Smile

Hi Free Thinker,

Thanks for writing a pointless line I had to read before getting past this point Smile

Quote:I have a pretty typical story - indoctrinated into the religion of my parents, almost always felt there was something off (logical inconsistencies), became agnostic for more than a decade, and finally took the plunge towards atheism a few months ago (post reading Dawkins' "God Delusion").

It was an awakening experience.

Anyways - thanks for creating this great community. I lurked all of last night and really enjoyed the discussions. Decided to join this morning.

Hope to contribute something of value over time.

That's an awfully long time to lurk Wink

Hope you do too. Big Grin

... Welcome, newbie Tiger Don't take me seriously Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome Enjoy our little pond full of cuddly sharks Big Grin
(April 10, 2013 at 7:11 am)LastPoet Wrote: Welcome Enjoy our little pond full of cuddly sharks Big Grin

OOH! Can I cuddle with the new guy? Skunk

Toys are the most fun before they break! Big Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcom. (As I was scrolling through, I thought I read, "Face-Sitter Taking the Plunge". Shows where my mind is this morning)
(April 10, 2013 at 6:20 am)Aractus Wrote:
  • became agnostic for more than a decade, and finally took the plunge towards atheism a few months ago (post reading Dawkins' "God Delusion").
Really? The atheists here keep telling me that there's no difference! Big Grin

Welcome anyway!

Would it be more accurate to state that I'm now 90% atheist and 10% agnostic - because yah, I've read those arguments too.

I tend to also think in terms of likelihoods and probabilities. I've concluded that the likelihood of a god or gods existing is 0% Wink

And thanks for the welcome Smile

(April 10, 2013 at 7:15 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote:
(April 10, 2013 at 7:11 am)LastPoet Wrote: Welcome Enjoy our little pond full of cuddly sharks Big Grin

OOH! Can I cuddle with the new guy? Skunk

Toys are the most fun before they break! Big Grin

[Image: misunderstood-shark-did-you-know.jpg]

Smile