Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just introducing myself.
Just introducing myself.
Hi, my name is Logan. I'm 21. I'm new to the site and just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been Atheist since my sophomore year of high school. (2006-07) At the time it was very hard for me to admit and accept, but as time went on I grew more comfortable in my belief and have do doubt that there is no god.

I live in southwest Missouri, so I've always felt like I didn't fit in and still feel like I may never be accepted fully by anyone I meet around here. I have one Atheist friend, but that is all. And in my small city area we don't have any outspoken Atheist groups. Finding this site is kind of my way of reaching out and seeing how much I really am not alone in my beliefs. As I mentioned before, being in the "Bible Belt" it's kind of hard to find anyone who is willing to talk about religion and Atheism with me. All my family is Christian, much of my extended family is Catholic, my girlfriend of over a year is also Christian, and most of my friends are Christian also. I would love to move to Cali or someplace where self expression and indivual opinions are more respected and accepted, but for now this is all I can afford. Tongue

I have been lazy and quiet about my beliefs so far, but I have now gotten the urge to learn as much as I can about Atheism and religions so that I will feel more comfotable defending myself in conversations of belief. Many times I have had the conversation, but it was always short because I didn't really have anything more to add to the conversation other than that I don't believe, and logic wins over faith in my opinion. I am here to learn as much as I can about things so I finally can have real intellectual conversations about belief and controversial issues related to Atheism and Thesim. I'm tired of sitting by and not being able to express my view of the world as much as the people I'm surrounded by.

As I get a feel for the site, I will probably start asking questions and try to become more involved in conversations, debates, etc. Feel free to strike up a conversation with me. I'm here to learn. Thanks everyone!
RE: Just introducing myself.
Welcome
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome.

(April 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm)loganlandis Wrote: Hi, my name is Logan. I'm 21. I'm new to the site and just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been Atheist since my sophomore year of high school. (2006-07) At the time it was very hard for me to admit and accept, but as time went on I grew more comfortable in my belief and have do doubt that there is no god.

As everyone does when they first learn they have herpes. We understand Heart Hey, at least you tell people now, instead of contributing to a high-school-disease chain Smile

Quote:I live in southwest Missouri, so I've always felt like I didn't fit in and still feel like I may never be accepted fully by anyone I meet around here. I have one Atheist friend, but that is all. And in my small city area we don't have any outspoken Atheist groups. Finding this site is kind of my way of reaching out and seeing how much I really am not alone in my beliefs. As I mentioned before, being in the "Bible Belt" it's kind of hard to find anyone who is willing to talk about religion and Atheism with me. All my family is Christian, much of my extended family is Catholic, my girlfriend of over a year is also Christian, and most of my friends are Christian also. I would love to move to Cali or someplace where self expression and indivual opinions are more respected and accepted, but for now this is all I can afford.

There are places in your own state like that. Look to the horizon greedily, blind to what lies beyond the forest behind you.

Quote:I have been lazy and quiet about my beliefs so far, but I have now gotten the urge to learn as much as I can about Atheism and religions so that I will feel more comfotable defending myself in conversations of belief. Many times I have had the conversation, but it was always short because I didn't really have anything more to add to the conversation other than that I don't believe, and logic wins over faith in my opinion. I am here to learn as much as I can about things so I finally can have real intellectual conversations about belief and controversial issues related to Atheism and Thesim. I'm tired of sitting by and not being able to express my view of the world as much as the people I'm surrounded by.

Honestly, that's all there is to add. Except that your acceptance of logic is faith, but yknow: baby steps.

And that should be the end of discussion for them: you don't believe... so don't rant to you about shit you don't believe in.

Unless you're just being an ass. Then all bets are off Wink

Quote:As I get a feel for the site, I will probably start asking questions and try to become more involved in conversations, debates, etc. Feel free to strike up a conversation with me. I'm here to learn. Thanks everyone!

Every person here is differ-well, some of them are. You have your standard archetypes, and then you have a whole swath of gems. Finding them is pretty easy: they usually have a lot of posts.

But then, so does the granite. Ultimately: "Is it rock?"
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Well, you've already run the gamut with Vi, so I'll just say "Hello."
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Welcome Enjoy the forums.
Welcome Logan!

PS "atheist" shouldn't be capitalized... just a pet peeve Smile
Hello, Logan.
Howdy! I grew up in Northwest Arkansas... So yeah, I know that feeling.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1033 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3685 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2164 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1579 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New member introducing herself HHK 24 4436 July 18, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Introducing Meee! Panatheist 15 2577 March 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3335 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Myself John Algar 17 2364 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3856 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Introducing myself Fortruth 15 2768 November 23, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Aractus