Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do christians (and people in general) mean by "feeling empty inside"?
what do christians (and people in general) mean by "feeling empty inside"?
Been hearing all my life from Christians that "we have a hole inside of us that only god can fill, and we may try to fill it with girls, video games and foods but only god can fill it" :S

and even some non christian people talk about "feeling empty inside".

what does it mean to you?

for me, I have bipolar disorder and go through dramatic mood swings and when I'm depressed i get so overwhelmed and hopeless - I can kinda relate to the empty feeling, and I try to make my self feel better by buying stuff or something..... it gets super irritating though when christians say "oh u need jesus brah"

So i guess to me, its more like having self confidence and self esteem keeping you together inside rather than expensive toys and judgmental beliefs.
RE: what do christians (and people in general) mean by "feeling empty inside"?
It means an obscure attempt from religionists to get more flock from the hardships of life.

As to me, I'll do my best to thrive, it's all I can do. It's easy for some to take refuge on a god's plan, I guess.
What it is? It is your brain that needs drugs that only this god thingy can fill. Funnily enough you can be "high" sans any extraneous substance...yes that's right you can produce "ecstasy" from your own mindless stupidity.

yay Dodgy

Meanwhile in the real world............................................ Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It's basically the same thing as existential angst.
So...I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I do know plenty of theists who had a "hole" they tried to fill with just about anything PLUS Jesus, as much as the atheists with 'holes' tried to fill it with just about anything minus god. Neither worked.

God was a bandaid for a lot of these people - something to focus on without resolving the issues at hand. I personally think it's better to fix the issues, or at least identify them as such and come to a solution. Some people say God helps them do this. I also personally think those people come to those decisions all on their own and have a problem with taking credit.

I don't have a problem giving to charity or helping people or being nice or productive or anything else in life without god, and I don't feel there's a 'hole' there because I know what I need, I know who I am, I know what I want, and I know what my problems are. I have solutions for the problems and support from my friends and a positive set of values I follow. There's no room for god.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It also depends on which holes you're trying to fill, I suppose. (its on the tee, summer)
Well, some people use sex as a means to fill that hole. And then wondered what they were doing wrong. Some of them were Christian, and kept saying Jesus was testing them.
Hungry?

Quote:Well, some people use sex as a means to fill that hole.

Big Grin

Nah.... not gonna say it.

Angel
(April 15, 2013 at 10:52 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Well, some people use sex as a means to fill that hole. And then wondered what they were doing wrong. Some of them were Christian, and kept saying Jesus was testing them.

Summer, I believe it's more like their testing Jesus, like a child test their parents, they want to know were the limits are, sadly they choose a road full of pot holes.

@ Jextin, that hole you're referring to is hopelessness. Living against God's will for your life results in this emptiness. Living in God's will for your life gives you purpose in His will, and to get things started, if you will, acceptance of Jesus sets you on a path of understanding. Then you begin to find life and yourself different in a very good way.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(April 15, 2013 at 11:32 am)Minimalist Wrote: Hungry?

Quote:Well, some people use sex as a means to fill that hole.

Big Grin

Nah.... not gonna say it.

Angel

Come on....

(April 16, 2013 at 4:07 am)Godschild Wrote:
(April 15, 2013 at 10:52 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Well, some people use sex as a means to fill that hole. And then wondered what they were doing wrong. Some of them were Christian, and kept saying Jesus was testing them.

Summer, I believe it's more like their testing Jesus, like a child test their parents, they want to know were the limits are, sadly they choose a road full of pot holes.

This would be viable if I thought Jesus existed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mind from the Inside bennyboy 46 5984 September 18, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Why Do I hate creationists (theists in general) ScienceAf 92 14397 August 27, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  What does morality mean to you? robvalue 23 5868 September 23, 2015 at 6:56 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The existence of ETs would mean... CristW 73 9664 August 18, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  why i hate religion in general Jextin 2 1860 April 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Does objective truth mean the existence of absolute truth? rybak303 7 7041 November 1, 2010 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet