Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:07 am

Poll: Do you think that the bill, stripped of the provisions not dealing with background checks, would be more successful?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
100.00%
2 100.00%
No.
0%
0 0%
I want all those provisions to stay, actually.
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The senate and its failure to get shit done.
The senate and its failure to get shit done.
Ok, so, we all know what just happened to the gun control vote. It didn't go very good for proponents. It went terrific for people who are convinced that it should be easy and quick to buy just about any gun at any time from anywhere without having to even submit your damn ID, though. *Rolls eyes.*

Once again I find myself being one of the few firearm fanatics going "Uh, no, this was actually kind of bad, guys" while my fellow fanatics are screaming about what a victory this is. A victory? A victory for what? Letting convicted murderers and rapists and diagnosed sociopaths have easy, unfettered access to highly lethal weaponry? Well gee aren't we just the champions of liberty. *Rolls eyes. Again.*

Ok. Hyperbole and initial annoyance aside.

I think a fairly sizable part of the problem comes from the fact that the bill was, contrary to what everyone has been saying, NOT just about expanding background checks. There were nine pieces to it, including the limitation of magazine capacity, automatic weaponry, and added requirements for transferring a weapon in registration to someone else, some of which started bordering on the downright tedious.

Ockham's Razor would have been perfectly suited for this bill. Had the bill simply been about expanded background checks and nothing more, the NRA would likely not have become so riled up, nor would many state senators. But, see, that's the problem. The gun-control proponents went for broke. They didn't just want one thing, they wanted ALL of it. They wanted every last slice of the cake and unfortunately when you start pushing too hard, you start pushing potential allies away. And that's what happened.

This was a demand for all states to submit to overall Federal control in matters of ALL forms of firearms. Not just a background check, but you also were now going to limit every last one of the 50 states to where they could only own a gun with so many rounds and that could fire so fast and could only be registered by such and such and transferred only under certain circumstances. Too much shit. That's the story of this bill: Demanding too fucking much.

Maybe Obama and the democrats will learn their lesson and strip away some of the more onerous aspects of the bill and focus instead on the one part that we all agree upon: The fucking background checks. Stop trying to shovel the limitations of everything else onto people, go with what people overwhelmingly agree with, THEN approach the other issues you want to address later.

Unfortunately this came off with too much guilt-tripping. "These people got shot, it's not your fault, but all the same, someone else used a gun similar to yours and therefore we don't want to let you possess such weaponry yourself because nobody can be trusted" was the overall tone to what was being said.

Drop the other eight provisions and just fucking focus on the background checks. That's all you need, that's all we really want for the most part, and that will pass unanimously! But instead, Obama blew his load. He drummed up a ton of publicity, tried to rally a bunch of support, had them in the palm of his hand and then suddenly wanted to added a bunch of other shit that people do NOT agree so much on into the bill.

This was not a smart move. Now we have to wait several months for the bill to be reintroduced in any form. Passions from the aftermaths of the shootings will have died down, reducing support, and people will probably stop caring again. Less people will be vocal, and for all we know, the attempt to get just the background checks implanted may well now be in total jeopardy. Thus, this bill might have actually damaged whatever hopes we all had of ensuring that convicted felons cannot get access to firearms. I sure hope not, though.

Yes. I am aware there's another thread on this. But this is more my informed opinion and speculation on the matter and the overall situation as opposed to the ruling, so...hence I made a new thread.
RE: The senate and its failure to get shit done.
"Public official overreaches, squanders political capital"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If that wasn't a headline you found somewhere, then you need to submit it to like...every news organization ever. Because that title is the most perfectly fitting title for this clusterfuck that I can imagine.
I can't vote for two options. Yes, the bill would have been more successful if it only focused on background checks, but I also like the other segments of the bill, though I realize their snowball's chance in hell of passing. Tis better to pass something rather than nothing at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7419 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Do conservatives believe the shit on Fox News? Spongebob 119 8830 August 31, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  has Biden done a good job as president? Drich 400 25107 May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1097 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Senate Trial has started. Brian37 95 3318 February 15, 2021 at 7:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Lame Duck Shit Show brewer 46 2083 November 12, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 838 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 622 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Coming From Anyone Else This Would Just Be The Usual Nauseating Shit Minimalist 3 817 October 24, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Saudi Arabia whitewashing its reputation by paying to PR companies WinterHold 0 220 October 17, 2018 at 8:00 am
Last Post: WinterHold