Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soul and Psychology
Soul and Psychology
This is not topic in support or denial of a soul. This is merely an observation regarding current religious belief of a soul and how it seems to affect mental and psychological health/treatment.

I have observed that the religious belief in a soul (typically evangelical theologies) has had a negative effect on psychological treatment of various mental disorders and diseases. Mainly in the field of depression, schizophrenia, and personality disorders (some including Narcissistic personality, borderline personality, and bipolarism). My reasoning for this being is the common held belief that the soul is an entity separate from the body and commonly believed not to be directly influenced by the brain, but rather influence the brain itself. To the common church, typical psychological disorders such as the ones listed above are typically treated as soul afflictions. Typical counseling is done. However, typical psychological therapies are ignored. This being is that the soul communes with God and typically prayer should work in fixing said issues. Now I do know some do get psychological help and medication is used. However, this often times comes in late and after a lot of emotional damage has occurred.

Now concerning depression this is perhaps other than personality disorders most ignored and often times over looked. These often blown off as "have faith" responses or merely a talking it out through Christian counseling. In my experiences it has been attributed to either lack of coping, evil spirits, or even as far as well pray for you with little recourse. I have seen one of the questions presented to those depressed is "do they have sin in their life". Typically a broad statement that can be applied to several different types of emotional and personal issues. Sometimes addictions can be causes of depressions. However, even those addictions are taken as spiritual rather than substance or chemical. I feel that depression is blown off on average by the church and the root causes either it be chronic/clinical are often skipped over in place of faith in healing from external source rather than internally to the person.

Now concerning schizophrenia the church on average does acknowledge this and typically send toward professional help. However, in some charismatic circles these have been attributed to demonic possession. Now the issue here often these disorders are often found to late or simply treated with stigma.

I think the most overlooked and untreated disorders are the personality disorders. I even go to far as to say helped and made worse. From personal observation through my attendance to various denominations and myself being a preachers kid (however my father acknowledging psychological disorders) seen this personally. Narcissistic and borderline personality disorders seemingly to be enhanced by religion as both of these feed off of an unhealthy sense of (world revolves our me) mentality. With the fact that most Christian churches take pride in personal achievement through the church. These personalities often get positions of power. When these are brought up however, I noticed they are ignored or outright denied. I see a lot of both of these personalities edged on through the posterity gospel as well as typical charismatic theologies. The self-centered role of the NPD is often times pushed on by the sense of giving and self-pride through the fact one is saved from torture. Then is rewarded by the aggressive tactics often employed to fill one’s own narrisstic personality. And due to the believe in soul they can ignore their own personal issues and often times no one will question their mental health. Even to the point of following them.

Concerning Borderline personality disorders. These can be very damaging in the fact that they are very delusional about the fact the world is usually out to get them. With their typical tactics of passive aggression and victimization. They often times can come off a good guys while putting others down. With the power of God behind them they can use that as justification to emotionally harm or even alleviate personal responsibility. So in summary the average belief in a soul in the evangelical circles leads to a delusional ignorance of psychological and personality disorders, because the soul is something apart from the brain and it is either affected by sin. Or prayer is often a treatment if at all. At if leadership is in power, they will often use spiritual authority to prevent any questioning and fall back on the soul concept as a means to ignore common personality disorders.

I want yalls take sorry if it is not fully constructed perfectly but I like to hear yalls take. Ask any questions.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Soul and Psychology
I agree. Literal religions are not good. They seem to amplify bad situations far more than they dampen them. Mental disorders can make any line of thinking distorted. Take the same logic and apply it to nationalism. Take this thinking to parents that are raising children in sports. Over all I tend to agree with you. Some people in leadership roles in churches act as a positive feedback loop in mental health issues. At the very least they don't offer a sound anchor point for the person to use so that they can help themselves. The line of reasoning you pointed out is a "solution" built on sand.
To be honest, I do not know a solution to this. The education is present, however the smear campaign against science has made a great blow toward mental health. It is interesting to note that such practices to occur.

it starts with the image in the mirror.
(April 22, 2013 at 2:05 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: This is not topic in support or denial of a soul. This is merely an observation regarding current religious belief of a soul and how it seems to affect mental and psychological health/treatment.

I have observed that the religious belief in a soul (typically evangelical theologies) has had a negative effect on psychological treatment of various mental disorders and diseases.....

Got evidence?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Well if I could video tape the past events then yes I have evidence. This is more a personal experience coupled with my time as a preachers kid and dealing with various religous folks. Also, going to a bible college for a year. Mine is from personal observation, which according to evidence, unless making a scientific claim which i was trying to do. It does count as evidence. I however can see what you are refering to.

However, you go look for yourself you will find often than not the various scenarios I have described. That statement did sound over emcompassing so I apologize. I know not all chruches are defiantely to blame.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem of the soul zwanzig 142 10328 August 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 5198 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your Soul Count? Graufreud 39 4379 July 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1060 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theists, What If Your "Soul" Isn't Really Immortal? God of Mr. Hanky 22 5474 February 3, 2016 at 6:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The afterlife and the soul Vincent 87 18142 January 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  What the hell is a 'soul' anyway? Lucanus 128 27861 September 7, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Ronkonkoma
  Disproving The Soul Severan 58 13955 August 31, 2015 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Selling your soul. Chad32 38 9322 August 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  I sold my "soul" Foxaèr 18 3073 April 22, 2015 at 8:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13