Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What church?
What church?
Question for those who were christians and then left the belief.
What denominational church did you belong to at the time?
This is to satisfy my curiosity.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
RE: What church?
(April 24, 2013 at 9:29 am)Godschild Wrote: Question for those who were christians and then left the belief.
What denominational church did you belong to at the time?
This is to satisfy my curiosity.

non-denominational. Church of Christ.
Evangelical Lutheran.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Never belonged to a church and I remember my nine year old self wondered why people even bother.
My family was Catholic, but we converted to Methodism. I gave up on figuring out which version was the path to salvation, this led, in no small part, to my disbelief.
I'm pretty sure my father (who instigated any church going) was a Methodist. Fortunately he stopped dragging me there before I started school. Probably that was because he was in the navy and gone to sea a lot. I was lucky enough to have left home before he retired and treated the younger have of my brood to weekly church going. It stuck for one of my brothers who continues to go of his own accord.

What denomination are you GC?
(April 24, 2013 at 10:10 am)whateverist Wrote: What denomination are you GC?

*points to GC's religious views.

I would say Southern Baptist Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

United Methodist.
Jehovah's Witnesses.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I was raised and Bat Mitzvahed in a Conservative temple that catered to military families (meaning it was small, with shifting membership, and we rented out a church for our various uses, changing whatever was up at the altar as needed). I was around 17 or so when my family moved to going to a Reform synagogue that was closer in distance. I went through Confirmation classes there. If you want to know what kind of bullshit that is, you should listen to the interview Dave Silverman does on the Irreligiosophy podcast.

Not Christian, obviously, but how many Jews do we have on this site anyway?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]