Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Split]Viruses and Prions without God Wrath!
[Split]Viruses and Prions without God Wrath!
Patrick Forterre of the Institut Pasteur has suggested a novel evolutionary scenario for how cells obtained DNA that also explains how the cellular machinery that deals with DNA originated in viruses in the first place.

Forterre's hypothesis starts with an RNA world consisting of cells with RNA genomes plus viruses with RNA genomes. Viruses with DNA genomes were then selected because this protected them from degradation by cellular nucleases. This would have occurred before the LUCA (also containing an RNA genome) split into the three domains (Archaea, Bacteria, Eukarya).
Then three nonvirulent DNA viruses ("founder viruses") infected the ancestors of the three domains. The three DNA viruses replicated inside their host cells as DNA plasmids, much as a P1 prophage replicates inside Escherichia coli today. Furthermore, two of the founder viruses were more closely related to each other (and these infected the ancestors of today's Archaea and Eukarya) than to the third founder virus (which infected the ancestor of Bacteria). Gradually, cells converted their genes from RNA to DNA due to its greater stability. Reverse transcriptase is believed to be an enzyme of very ancient origin, and it is conceivable that it was involved in the convrsion of RNA genes to DNA, as occurs in retroviruses today.
(Madigan, M. et al. (2012), Brock Biology of Microorganisms, 13th Ed. Pearson Education, p. 276)

Although this hypothesis does not wholly explain the origin of viruses, it does explain their diversity of replication systems and the very ancient structural similarities between certain families of DNA and RNA viruses.

My knowledge of molecular biology is limited and I am thus unable to hypothesize about the origin of prions.
RE: Explain Viruses and Prions without God Wrath!
Luminox - we discourage people 'necroposting' threads that haven't seen activity in over a month. Prions are a very interesting thing to discuss, however (especially in relation to zombies!) so I would suggest you open up a new thread. We have a couple people on here who are very good in biology and it might turn into a good discussion.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: [Split]Viruses and Prions without God Wrath!
Split done, carry on Big Grin
Re: [Split]Viruses and Prions without God Wrath!
I'm not very good in biology but, from my understanding of viruses that I learned in an introductory biology class, I had this same idea and suggested to the class, that viruses are prehistoric and also we probably have within our bodies naturally, humans and animals alike. The problem with viruses probably arise when they jump from one species to the next and becomes a detriment to the new host with incompatible functions. Of course the class laughed at the idea but, whatever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning without pressure of grades. Brian37 6 1906 August 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Explain Viruses and Prions without God Wrath! The_Flying_Skeptic 4 1950 April 9, 2011 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Welsh cake