Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poe?
Poe?
Right geeks!

What's a Poe?

Got it!

Love it!
Kudos given by (1): Dawud
RE: Poe?
Someone pretending to be religious in an absurd manner in order to mock that religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Convo is great round here!
It's a reference to Poe's Law. It states that attempts to parody extremism do not seem any different from actual extremism. Thus, a person who is trying to jokingly imitate an extremist cannot be told apart from the extremist that he is mimicking.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Hmmmm... Dawud = Dragonetti? Look at their avatars! Devil
Nah - I'm not Dragonetti

I'll research Dragonetti then explain to you precisely how I'm more handsome, intelligent and funny...
A Poe is a parody that might be mistaken for the real thing.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
Like when I asked if I could give myself Kudos...!
(April 26, 2013 at 3:03 pm)Dawud Wrote: Like when I asked if I could give myself Kudos...!

No, narcissistic is the word for that.
Ain't he that guy who wrote that "Nevermore" thingy?Tongue
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a Poe? Rhondazvous 21 1371 January 3, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Celebration Of The Banned Useless Failed Poe Thread Edwardo Piet 2 717 October 4, 2015 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Poe, or no? Jackalope 10 1406 August 26, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Exian
  What is a poe? beentheredonethat 13 2319 July 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  What is a Poe? vodkafan 18 2030 June 22, 2014 at 11:18 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is a poe ?? Intimae_Hasta 7 1875 June 25, 2010 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Samson