Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food for thought, and thought on food.
Food for thought, and thought on food.
The top 100 questions of importance to
the future of global agriculture.

Quote:Despite a significant growth in food production over the past half-century, one of the most important challenges facing
society today is how to feed an expected population of some nine billion by the middle of the 20th century. To meet the
expected demand for food without significant increases in prices, it has been estimated that we need to produce
70–100 per cent more food, in light of the growing impacts of climate change, concerns over energy security,
regional dietary shifts and the Millennium Development target of halving world poverty and hunger by 2015. The
goal for the agricultural sector is no longer simply to maximize productivity, but to optimize across a far more
complex landscape of production, rural development, environmental, social justice and food consumption
outcomes. However, there remain significant challenges to developing national and international policies that
support the wide emergence of more sustainable forms of land use and efficient agricultural production. The lack of
information flow between scientists, practitioners and policy makers is known to exacerbate the difficulties, despite
increased emphasis upon evidence-based policy. In this paper, we seek to improve dialogue and understanding
between agricultural research and policy by identifying the 100 most important questions for global agriculture.
These have been compiled using a horizon-scanning approach with leading experts and representatives of major
agricultural organizations worldwide. The aim is to use sound scientific evidence to inform decision making and
guide policy makers in the future direction of agricultural research priorities and policy support. If addressed, we
anticipate that these questions will have a significant impact on global agricultural practices worldwide, while
improving the synergy between agricultural policy, practice and research. This research forms part of the UK
Government’s Foresight Global Food and Farming Futures project
http://docserver.ingentaconnect.com/deli...A64024B712

-60. How much can agricultural education, extension,
farmer mobilization and empowerment be
achieved by the new opportunities afforded by
mobile phone and web-based technologies?-

I read this a couple years back and this one stuck with me. I've been working with a buddy of mine on a mobile app ever since (but since I can't code, and he can't farm - and we both have 9-5 lives....it's been slow going..lol)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Food for thought, and thought on food.
Subscribing...hopefully I'll have time to get to this over the weekend...dad's blowing through Charlotte tonight...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veggie Thread v2.0 ...all stuff regarding food production KichigaiNeko 15 7651 May 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  The Veggie Thread...for news items regarding ALL aspects of food production. KichigaiNeko 26 12768 November 24, 2013 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy