Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deconversion
Deconversion
When I deconverted it was a rather painful and empty feeling. More or less missing the "hope" that I once had. I gave it alot of through due to the rammifications of said deconversion. So has anyone else felt the same empty, painful feeling? And if so how did yall manage to cope?
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Deconversion
I was scared for one day that I would be punished for my insolence. Then I realized that the world was just the same, I was just the same and nothing had really changed, so I got over the emptiness pretty quickly. It's not always that easy though..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 28, 2013 at 6:20 am)Kayenneh Wrote: I was scared for one day that I would be punished for my insolence. Then I realized that the world was just the same, I was just the same and nothing had really changed, so I got over the emptiness pretty quickly. It's not always that easy though..

My rational mind has thought of such, however with the near death of my adoptive mother. It kinda makes you think deeper and the hope (I still have i bet to some degree) that you can see them again. Also, on to the topic it is hard to let go especially if you were a dedicated apologist.

Imagine a world where no one lies... no one ever invented religion.... what would happen if one guy discovered the power of lying?

damn, someone made a movie about it!!

Have not seen that movie, i heard it was good however. It has been an interesting journey for sure however. I am more free to explore what my mind can think rather than what i am told to think.

I can't give any direct advice on the deconversion process, but perhaps reading about others who have gone through the same thing might help. Dan Barker wrote Godless after living the life of an evangelical preacher and then deconverting. I found it to give a very interesting insight into the whole process.

This is the best part of "The Invention of Lying."

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yea I thought of looking into the clergy project. While myself am not an atheist. I believe my leadership role or atleast the figure head role in the church has really made my deconversion have it hard moments.

(April 28, 2013 at 6:30 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: My rational mind has thought of such, however with the near death of my adoptive mother. It kinda makes you think deeper and the hope (I still have i bet to some degree) that you can see them again. Also, on to the topic it is hard to let go especially if you were a dedicated apologist.
Atheism offers no "cookies" for disbelief. Once you die, you stay dead. Forever. That's why it's so important to use this only life you'll ever have the best you can, be nice to others and try not to be a cunt Cool Shades
(April 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm)wwjs Wrote:
(April 28, 2013 at 6:30 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: My rational mind has thought of such, however with the near death of my adoptive mother. It kinda makes you think deeper and the hope (I still have i bet to some degree) that you can see them again. Also, on to the topic it is hard to let go especially if you were a dedicated apologist.
Atheism offers no "cookies" for disbelief. Once you die, you stay dead. Forever. That's why it's so important to use this only life you'll ever have the best you can, be nice to others and try not to be a cunt Cool Shades

Your so cold! Naw I stay neutral when it comes to an "afterlife" Who the hell knows what happens. However, I focus on my life now, because it is irrelevant what lies after death. Death is truely the biggest adventure, are we facing oblivion or everlasting torment? No one knows the truth, the only truth is if our life was honorable and made the most of it.

You got it. I can't disprove gods/afterlife just like I can't disprove leprechauns but I live as if they don't exist