Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When I am asked Why I have a problem with Religion, Its hard to come out with a single answer.
When I am asked Why I have a problem with Religion, Its hard to come out with a single answer.
These are the reasons.
Warning:larger image

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: When I am asked Why I have a problem with Religion, Its hard to come out with a single answer.
In a nut shell! " With or without religion, you would have good people, doing good things, and evil people, doing evil things ! But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion !"
RE: When I am asked Why I have a problem with Religion, Its hard to come out with a single answer.
I think these here are horrible acts and no doubt many can be attributed to religion to some degree. However, it is ignoring the fact that more are also killed in the name of various other reasons. State Atheism as made famous by the Cult of Reason back during the French Revolution period. While it only attempted to destroy churches and replace them with Goddess of Reason worship a belief born out of the philosophical stance known as atheos or atheism. Or the Albanian governments state sanctioned atheism, or castration of religion in USSR, or the Chinese cultural revolution. This only shows the fact that humanity at is simplest will use any ideology to its ends if it can. To justify whatever agenda usually caused by an underlying psychological disorder, mental illness, delusional irrational thought process, or inability to emotionally cope with something they rather not believe.

If you dig deep most mainstream religious the doctrines at their core do not condone such behavior. Islam might be different because of their Kadif(sp?) methodology however I am not educated fully on their theology concerning the Kadifs. However dogmatism, radicalism, and zeal are found with any philosophical system or world view. I believe focusing on one segment of violence will only distract from the root of the problem. Keep in mind more have died for political ideologies and pride of leaders than all people dead from religions combined. Heck all the deaths in WWII 60,000,000 to 80,000,000 Total deaths (Compton’s Guide to World War Two.) vastly eclipse all religious wars prior to that date. Those are from mere political ideologies. So you get the picture here a simple observation here is that homo sapiens are still tribal, and very territorial.

The question many will pose is if religion is abolished will religious violence end? Yes "Religious" violence will end however it will not end violence. Religion will simply be replaced by some other philosophy. Let us look at North Korea, the Political "religion" as it has been deemed has kill thousands, maybe millions. That is purely of a monarchal and political nature. So in short, these evil deeds and like many others show an illness in the human mind, of which we are just now realizing this. Alot of our psychological issues steam from emotional and physical needs are not being met. It is going to be a long time before we fully mature as a species if we last this long. In conclusion we must understand the human condition as most are too prideful and zealous to an ideology to work towards such healing. Sooner realize most of these violent acts have a root in either neurological disorders, emotional disorders, or pure psychological/mental issues. The sooner recognize the root cause faster we can heal ourselves and grow as a species.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
(April 29, 2013 at 8:46 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: The sooner recognize the root cause faster we can heal ourselves and grow as a species.

With no apparent link to breeding success, I always wonder how we are supposed to grow/evolve as a species. Many expect or hope that will happen but I don't see how it possibly can.
I was first furious, reading these images, than went into tears when a 11 year old GIRL was executed for being condemned of witchcraft!?!?!!? WFT!!!!

Can you send the links to (atleast most) of where you found all these articles? I would like to read more on them. This just reminded me why I left Christianity.
“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
(April 29, 2013 at 8:46 am)bladevalant546 Wrote:

Yes, the underlying issues of the human condition are what causes these problems, not religion. The problem is, however, that religion gives humanity carte blanche to unleash those underlying issues on each other.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
No denial there Faith, as stated in my post that religion is infact used. I mainly like to get people to gain perspective is all. Alot of times including myself we like to find the easier scape goat rather than find the mountain goat that i going around hurting people.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
(April 29, 2013 at 11:06 am)TosinAsLeader Wrote: I was first furious, reading these images, than went into tears when a 11 year old GIRL was executed for being condemned of witchcraft!?!?!!? WFT!!!!

Can you send the links to (atleast most) of where you found all these articles? I would like to read more on them. This just reminded me why I left Christianity.

Its a compilation from Smartass Atheist Guild under article of the same name as this.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Honestly, I think that the Jim Bakker "I was wrong" cover shouldn't be part of the collage; if you at least read about the book, you'd know it was about his repudiation of his old, "personification of everything wrong about American Evangelical Christianity" ways.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quote:If you dig deep most mainstream religious the doctrines at their core do not condone such behavior.

There is a vast gap between what they say and what they either do...or allow to be done by their adherents while the brass stands there going "tut...tut...."

Fuck 'em all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 639 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 628 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1775 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1850 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7229 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13505 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5641 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1354 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1187 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God is not the answer Foxaèr 47 5146 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich