Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Jesus should have done it
How Jesus should have done it
I am not going to tell the God how to do his job but seems to me ...

His three year ministry should have included a lot of after hours, after a hard day of miracles, discussions as to "what I really mean" and "I am here to do X, Y and Z."

Seriously what were these thirteen geeks doing in their spare time? Staying drunk and singing bawdy songs? If you read the gospels and look only at Mark with a ONE year ministry you notice it contains barely enough material for a single month much less a year.

Or you can look at the Jesus quotes as political stump speeches that were delivered hundreds of times over but there is nothing between one time events and an unknowable number of repetitions of the same parables.

The latter led me to speculate as to a fat and laughing Jesus who joked his way across the Galilee. In this motif Peter the juggler or some such went out to warm up the crowd for the main event the same as it is done today and has always been done even though it does not appear on the TV. Someone has to warm up the audience. Maybe the twelve had a gymnastic routine. How else to attract a crowd?

Considering the main event was someone doing incomprehensible parables whose meaning was not revealed until after his death (read Acts) whatever he said was of no particular interest at the time it was said.

Seriously, how did they attract an audience? It is not like people could just stop working for a day. And then spreading the word without even billboards was a problem. So lots of people had to go through the local farms and towns to convince people to leave work and make a crowd. These things don't just happen by accident like a flash mob.

Then of course there was the bane of modern mass meetings, how many people were really there? How does one estimate the size of the crowd? Does one take the loaves and fishes story to mean the multitude was a whole lot of people? Or does one take it to mean there were so few that the quantity of leftovers makes sense?

Of course we want the messy death to be a record breaker but how do we schedule so many people to be in Jerusalem like his mother without letting people know it is staged?
RE: How Jesus should have done it
The doctor dropped you on your head when you were born, right! Anyone who could mess up what is absolutely obvious must have brain damage.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 1, 2013 at 1:45 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Seriously what were these thirteen geeks doing in their spare time? Staying drunk and singing bawdy songs? If you read the gospels and look only at Mark with a ONE year ministry you notice it contains barely enough material for a single month much less a year.

I think it was John who closed his gospel by claiming that Jesus did and said so many notable things that there wasn't enough paper to write it all down on. The idea being that you were just getting the merest glimpse of what he did. I don't know if the other 40-some gospels that did not get included in the Bible cover the same ground or (like the gospel of Thomas) tell different tales. But if it's true that Jesus was a whirlwind of activity for three years, it makes the lack of reporting about him seem even more odd to me.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 1, 2013 at 2:50 am)Godschild Wrote: The doctor dropped you on your head when you were born, right! Anyone who could mess up what is absolutely obvious must have brain damage.

You should not confuse familiar and common with obvious.

I find it completely reasonable to ask how people knew these guys were in town.

As the meanings of the parables were unknown until after he hightailed it back to heaven it is reasonable to ask why people were listening to stories they could not understand.
(May 1, 2013 at 2:50 am)Godschild Wrote: The doctor dropped you on your head when you were born, right! Anyone who could mess up what is absolutely obvious must have brain damage.

Says the man who believes in talking snakes and earth-covering floods!

Sometimes, G-C, the irony is almost too much with you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10139 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2745 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5214 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Why should religion have any influence on our lives? MusicLovingAtheist 62 9095 October 12, 2014 at 2:18 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Our work isn't done by a long shot Rokcet Scientist 0 1154 November 28, 2011 at 6:18 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Well done Idaho downbeatplumb 11 3032 September 17, 2011 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13151 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard