Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
apparently atheist agnostic is contradictory
apparently atheist agnostic is contradictory
I finally came out as an agnostic atheist (thought I'd break it to them more softly) and I'm being told the two terms contradict themselves even after I tell them it is indeed possible to not know if god exists ANd believe the lack of evidence for a god leads me to believe there is no god until/unless I find reason to believe otherwise. Seriously I'm about to cry and don't get why I'm being assaulted in all caps by my own family, or told I don't believe what I don't believe because when they look up the two terms they contradict eachother. I have nEver said a goddamn thing to them about their whacked out versions of 'the force' Christianity nor have I acted any differently to thEm since I deconverted, but hey. Don't mind me I'm just seething to the only place I know where to go.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
RE: apparently atheist agnostic is contradictory
Are you feeling the Christian love? ARE YA FEELIN' IT!?

In all seriousness, though: they don't contradict eachother. The words have two different applications of different subjects.
I'm not sure why it's so difficult to understand: maybe they're being disingenuous just because you don't believe the same as them. Either way; don't cry, because you can know that they're extremely dumb misguided people and they're not doing it just to hurt you.
You have us (AF) and we're way better than parents, right? Who needs family. Pfft.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
Quote: don't get why I'm being assaulted in all caps by my own family,

The obvious answer is that they are bigoted asswipes. Have you considered that possibility?
Someone earlier explained that:
a/gnosticism is for knowledge (you either know or don't know)
a/theism is for belief (you either believe or don't believe)

Most religious people (especially the ones on this forum) are gnostic theists which means that they believe in God/s and know that he/she/it/they exist
Most of non religious people on this forum are agnostic atheists which means that they don't believe in God/s but are not 100% sure that he/she/it/they don't exist
(May 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm)wwjs Wrote: Someone earlier explained that:
a/gnosticism is for knowledge (you either know or don't know)
a/theism is for belief (you either believe or don't believe)

I think that was me in the "What led you to atheism" thread.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
Yup Smile
I really don't like the introduction of agnostic/gnostic in this. Nobody who claims gnosticism on either side is telling the truth.
5 people now friends or family say its impossible to be both. Still.
Their question: if you don't know if there isn't a god, how can you say you don't believe if you don't know?
Aaaaaauuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for your replies guys/ gals? Madden me feel like I wasn't crazy
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

The use of the term 'agnostic' was popularized by Thomas Henry Huxley in the latter half of the nineteenth century. When it was originally popularized by Huxley, it typically did refer to theists who were agnostic because of their beliefs about the knowability of the specifics of God, rather than that they doubted His existence. Thus, there is historical precedent for suggesting that being an agnostic and an atheist are contradictory terms. However, words, like anything else, change over time, and its current usage appears neutral toward belief or non-belief. Regarding your family and others brow beating you over it, simply point out to them that it is an example of the to insist that the original usage and the etymology of a word dictate usage beyond that era, and that its current usage by both theists and atheists is the only fact that is relevant; any other argument is simply 'invalid'.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I was trying to make it easier on them by letting them know I didn't for sure know there isn't a god Ryantology.. I consider myself an atheist because I don't believe there is. Fml oh well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I'm identifying as agnostic... Aractus 29 5049 July 31, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Mormon --> Agnostic --> Atheist Blanca 27 8302 March 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger