Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and suicide
Atheism and suicide
Atheists are more likely to commit suicide, according to a new scientific study.
Researchers noticed that those who had no religious connection had fewer reasons to live and fewer moral objections to suicide.

Warren Nunn names two reasons:
1. The theory of evolution: "(...) as the evolution-as-fact dogma has reached saturation point in education and the public arena, so suicide has increased exponentially throughout the world [citation needed]. (...) What would it [your life] ultimately matter, if we are all just reorganized pond scum destined to be, at best, recycled as fertilizer, with neither hope beyond the grave, nor any accountability to our Maker?"
2. The properties of atheism: "Atheism is a journey without a destination, a body without a soul, a religion without reason, life without meaning, a faith without hope, and a universe without God. (...) Atheism is existentially unfulfilling."

In other words:
Evolution ('you’re-just-a-bag-of-chemicals paradigm') leads to atheism, which leads to secularism, which leads to increased levels of suicide.

Mr. Nunn ends the article with a message:
"In contrast to the purposelessness of evolution, those who call the Lord Jesus Christ their personal saviour have a purpose for living—they know they are “fearfully and wonderfully made”[Psalm 139:14]."
(Nunn, W. (01/03/2013), "Evolution and suicide", http://creation.com/evolution-and-suicide)

Your thoughts on this?

PS: The text between square brackets is added by me.
RE: Atheism and suicide
Its paradox we have to deal with. Either conscious slavery, slave of a God. Think about God, chant Gods names, prise, donate money to church, invite new people to be Gods slave and your personal example is needed. In short, become Gods slave yourself and seduce others to become slaves. God offering great reward for such work, paradise. Its a hope that let many people work for it till last breath and only they knowif it was worth it.
On the other hand simple people might say that are no God, and they are just bodies that are here to experience this world and disappeared completely. Which by defenition has no meaning. But its proud and pleasant expirence.
So we got this problem. Being Gods slave(worker) and having hope of paradise after death. Or proud and enjoyable experience of a master. Masters role has no continuing after death. Gods slaves await day when they can enter heaven.
(May 3, 2013 at 5:06 am)Luminox Wrote: Atheists are more likely to commit suicide, according to a new scientific study.
Researchers noticed that those who had no religious connection had fewer reasons to live and fewer moral objections to suicide.

Warren Nunn names two reasons:
1. The theory of evolution: "(...) as the evolution-as-fact dogma has reached saturation point in education and the public arena, so suicide has increased exponentially throughout the world [citation needed]. (...) What would it [your life] ultimately matter, if we are all just reorganized pond scum destined to be, at best, recycled as fertilizer, with neither hope beyond the grave, nor any accountability to our Maker?"
2. The properties of atheism: "Atheism is a journey without a destination, a body without a soul, a religion without reason, life without meaning, a faith without hope, and a universe without God. (...) Atheism is existentially unfulfilling."

In other words:
Evolution ('you’re-just-a-bag-of-chemicals paradigm') leads to atheism, which leads to secularism, which leads to increased levels of suicide.

Mr. Nunn ends the article with a message:
"In contrast to the purposelessness of evolution, those who call the Lord Jesus Christ their personal saviour have a purpose for living—they know they are “fearfully and wonderfully made”[Psalm 139:14]."
(Nunn, W. (01/03/2013), "Evolution and suicide", http://creation.com/evolution-and-suicide)

Your thoughts on this?

PS: The text between square brackets is added by me.

To put it bluntly I think it just means atheists spend less years at the end of their lives lying in a hospital bed doped on morphine suffering with incontinence dying of several types of cancer, unless the study is showing it's younger people who are committing suicide.

But also I would say if you're religious you have less reasons to live, less reasons to accept medical care at least, if you die and you have been good you get to go to an eternal theme park in the sky where at least in Islam you are surrounded by beautiful women and so on
'We love death more than you love life' is a common theme among Islamic extremists.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Seems Warren Nunn may have something there, these responses have no hope in them.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Every soul on this planet moves only because it has hope that it will happy by going certain path. Without hope there will be no life.
Hope in God is most bitter and unpleasent way, thought its an ideal of hope. Interesting fact that Hindu, Muslim, Christian religion have reincarnation aspect in them. Chemical bag theorie sole purpose is to justify lust, pleasure, thought its pointless in its core.
And if there would be a fact considering existence of God, then such fact would deny free will. It would left no choices, only certain fact that would freeze or make people live in certain lifestyle. Fact, knowledge of such level would make people like robots, doing the same thing. Faith, uncertainty, hope is a core for a free will to exist.

Its said in vedas that God gave people choice - either believe in Him or forget Him. Fact about God, real proff would deny this free will granted by God, and make us robots. We would act like chemical bags or faithful God servants. Its pointless whitout free will, no point in robots.
Why does hope got to do with reality?
(May 3, 2013 at 5:06 am)Luminox Wrote: [citation needed]

http://creation.com/evolution-and-suicide

Your thoughts on this?

Angel

Creation.com heh? ROFLOL

Yep, sounds like a very unbiased, very rigorously peer-reviewed scientific paper & source.

Also, to those that agree with the sentence above, I have this bridge in brooklyn that I need to sell for a very reasonable price Angel
In the past, I've found these studies often conflate 'atheist' with 'not very religious', using measurements like church attendance instead of identifying as atheist. Is this one of those? Because a more rigorous sorting has produced vastly different results in other studies.

If they are talking actual atheists, I would imagine that not thinking they'll go to hell if they commit suicide would be a factor. A higher suicide rate doesn't bother me nearly as much as a higher murder rate would; but theists tend not to count murdering more people as a mark against the mental health of their side.

It's an appalling piece of 'research'! It's full of holes, poor definitions, factual errors, assumptions and religious bias. Consequently I can't accept its findings. I'm at work now so don't have time to go into detail but I'll do so later. I can't let a piece like this stand unchallenged when it's so wrong!
Sum ergo sum
It's probably because the dominant religions teach if you commit suicide, it's a one way ticket to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2737 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12218 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12467 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3324 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  Do you believe that only mentally ill people commit suicide? leodeo 35 8534 January 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  What proof and evidence is there for "atheism" to be accurate and correct? SavedByChrist94 42 21751 January 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda