Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believers do not know what they are talking about
Believers do not know what they are talking about
I was catching up on my reading this afternoon and a survey article on plumes and plate tectonics had a quote that got my attention. The researcher was quoted as saying (paraphrased) my opinion is based upon theory not upon observation of the data. The general subject was plumes are great theories no one has conclusively observed them.

But I realized believers do not separate observation from theory from speculation from hearsay. They jump at anything that makes their beliefs appear to be superficially plausible.
RE: Believers do not know what they are talking about
The notion that mantle plume is merely a theory is not entirely correct. Direct seismic observation supports the presence of a very large deep mantle plume rising up from mantle core boundary under Africa. There are other combinations of mineralogical experiments and mineralogical observations which support the presence of plume like channels of material transport from deep in the mantle that is unique to the sites of proposed mantle plumes.
You're talking facts again, Chuck. Theists hate facts. Fucks up their fairy tales.
(May 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm)Chuck Wrote: The notion that mantle plume is merely a theory is not entirely correct. Direct seismic observation supports the presence of a very large deep mantle plume rising up from mantle core boundary under Africa. There are other combinations of mineralogical experiments and mineralogical observations which support the presence of plume like channels of material transport from deep in the mantle that is unique to the sites of proposed mantle plumes.

I only recount what I read in Science, AAAS one. It was the first or second April issue. If you are interested I'll look it up again. Erased it from my tablet after reading.

It was not challenging the facts you raise. It was pointing out conclusively observing the plumes has not been accomplished.
(May 4, 2013 at 7:38 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: I was catching up on my reading this afternoon and a survey article on plumes and plate tectonics had a quote that got my attention. The researcher was quoted as saying (paraphrased) my opinion is based upon theory not upon observation of the data. The general subject was plumes are great theories no one has conclusively observed them.

But I realized believers do not separate observation from theory from speculation from hearsay. They jump at anything that makes their beliefs appear to be superficially plausible.

The irony in this statement is so thick that you could cut it with a knife.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do they know when God is angry? Fake Messiah 94 6713 December 24, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 663 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 15472 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
  The witness argument (yet again, I know, I know) Mystic 81 11226 August 19, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3734 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8528 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4567 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1258 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike chimp3 39 8642 October 11, 2017 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6309 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm