Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello! New here.
Hello! New here.
Hello everyone, it's been a long time coming for me to join this board, and I finally got around to it. I'm an atheist in the American southwest, where we aren't really rare, but rare enough that I'd rather post and debate on here than try and find a group to discuss such things IRL.

I was previously a fundamentalist, evangelical, conservative Christian...long ago enough that it feels like another life. I used to speak in tongues and feel the spirit of God, but the house of cards came tumbling down and I progressively (and painfully) lost my faith. I've been an atheist since 2009, and I've been learning a lot more through this new worldview than I ever thought was possible before.

I come here now mostly because I have a lot of philosophical ideas I want to throw around and bounce off of other thinking people. Here's looking forward to talking with everyone and being part of the community!
Thinking
RE: Hello! New here.
Welcome. I moved to Errorzona 8 years ago. It's been an experience.
Hey. I look forward to exchanging views with you. I wouldn't consider myself fully atheist but I also don't consider God to be all that great due to my spiritual experiences. I also speak in tongues (every other day now) but I am struggling with this so called Spirit of God as to why the world is the way it is. I am furious everyday and ask this deity questions with no affirmative answer yet.

So I welcome you and myself to this forum and hope we get treated well! Angel Cloud
I'm in New Mexico, which is a hodgepodge of cultures and therefore tends to be a little more liberal than its neighbors. During the election, it was fun seeing NM and CO be surrounded by red on the final map. We have a republican governor though, and a lot of displaced Texans and Mormon towns that remind us to be constantly vigilant. It's that old west-wannabe mentality that keeps the southwest a little odd.

Hey LaffinAtchu, it's been my experience that the atheist community is generally pretty accepting, if irreverent. I think we'll be fine!

On a side note, is there any specific reason you've started to fall away? For me it was a lot of things...unanswered prayers a big part of it.
Thinking
Welcome to the Madhouse. I think we have many ex-fundamentalists here.
Quote:It's that old west-wannabe mentality that keeps the southwest a little odd.

Agreed.....and its an old west that exists mainly in Hollywood movies that they claim to despise.
Welcome

I know the feeling. I am in Florida!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Welcome Praetorian.
Hope you will spend good times here.
Welcome
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Welcome to AF, love New Mexico, been there few yeas ago Smile

[Image: vla_kristalarmendariz1_lo.jpg]
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here Nomistic 13 521 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 953 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1253 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1081 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New Here probablynothing#34 18 1368 June 30, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Ah hello? I don't know this is new to me FievelJ 24 2526 June 26, 2022 at 9:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  New here - hello! Orbit 16 1584 May 31, 2022 at 12:56 pm
  NEW HERE HAVING CRISIS nottheone 60 4720 January 9, 2022 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Hello... I'm New Here ABQ505 17 1588 November 18, 2021 at 11:15 am
  Hello, I'm new here NecroTzar 20 2115 October 28, 2021 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer