Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would convince you that a god exists?
What would convince you that a god exists?
Dear AF,
This is my first post outside of Introductions, and I thought it best to start things off by asking a question. This particular question comes up in the latter parts of many debates, and the answers often offered leave me feeling rather unsatisfied. The question is, what would convince you that a god exists?

This may sound a bit like a loaded question, but it's an important one to ask ourselves. As a person who tries to ground my views in facts and evidence, I must assume that it would be possible for a strong enough case to be made that I would conclude that a deity exists.
For me, such a case could and probably would have to be personal revelation. Not the typical, "feel the spirit" kind either; an actual physical appearance might be sufficient. However, to take a more concrete stance on this evidence, it would have to be repeatable.

In the classical Christian sense, God supposedly paid what we're lead to believe is the worst penalty possible - losing a child - for the mere possibility that one of our souls might be saved for eternity. As a child, I used to be told that God would have made the same sacrifice for just one soul (mine, of course). Being that the cost was so high for God, why wouldn't he, omnipotent, omni-present, and omni-benevolent as he is said to be, be actively willing to dole out whatever level of evidence any one of us would need to initiate belief?
A theist might say that I'm not worthy of questioning the methods of the almighty. I disagree. I think that if the almighty really existed, he would respect the logic he gave me and all of us and provide our skeptical minds the comfort needed to believe without fear of being mislead. Maybe that's WHOOSHING out of thin air any time we start to have doubts...that would sure convince me. But I've seen no whoosh as of yet.

What would convince YOU that God, Allah, or even the supernatural exists?
Thinking
RE: What would convince you that a god exists?
Seeing the god/goddess standing there looking at me while another person is standing there looking at the god/goddess at the same time. This way I would know it's not a hallucination. Also, we'd be sober, of course Angel
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
The thing is, once things that were at one time "supernatural" are observed in nature, they become "natural".

"God" can't be proven because, by definition, gods must be supernatural... at least the gods that exist in modern religions.

Therefore, I'm not entirely sure I could be convinced unless it was the deist version of a god.
If "god" appeared before me why would he give a shit what I thought?

The problem always seems to be that ignorant bible-thumpers can't bear the thought that there is someone in the world who thinks they are full of shit about their god.

The problem is theirs, not mine.
+1 on the sober part, Ivy Wink.

Well, rexbecca, let's assume that the god of the Bible does actually exist outside of time and space like apologists say he does. Would it convince you, if we could hop in the starship Enterprise and fly outside of our universe, bumping into God's nose in the process, that he existed? It's descending into absurdity, of course, but for us to remain intellectually honest, we have to assume that if he did exist, we could prove his existence.

As Ivy said, if a lesser, not all-powerful god or goddess suddenly popped into view in front of me and a friend (in a sober state), I would be far more inclined to believe that they existed. Whether they exist in a parallel dimension with access to ours is irrelevant. Assuming anything beyond what we can observe naturally or with instruments does exist, there has to be a way to prove it.
Thinking
Praetorian wrote:
Quote:+1 on the sober part, Ivy Wink.

You know, there's a kudos button for a reason Cool Shades lol

Hey, I can speak in tongues if I want still, too! Doing it right now.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(May 9, 2013 at 2:16 am)Minimalist Wrote: If "god" appeared before me why would he give a shit what I thought?

The idea is that since "God is love" (omni-benevolence), he would actually care. At least that's the doctrine I was raised with. The question is, if he did appear before you, would it convince you?
Thinking
God, would one have to appear before me and many others. Perform many miracle such as eradicating global hunger and global peace. Create another species! Poop out another star, and prove he/she/it can manipulate gravity.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(May 9, 2013 at 2:22 am)Praetorian Wrote:
(May 9, 2013 at 2:16 am)Minimalist Wrote: If "god" appeared before me why would he give a shit what I thought?

The idea is that since "God is love" (omni-benevolence), he would actually care. At least that's the doctrine I was raised with. The question is, if he did appear before you, would it convince you?

Nah - he'd have to pass a few tests which I would invent on the spot.

And they would be cast iron bitches. Make the Labors of Hercules look like a Boy Scout Merit program.
(May 9, 2013 at 2:31 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(May 9, 2013 at 2:22 am)Praetorian Wrote: The idea is that since "God is love" (omni-benevolence), he would actually care. At least that's the doctrine I was raised with. The question is, if he did appear before you, would it convince you?

Nah - he'd have to pass a few tests which I would invent on the spot.

And they would be cast iron bitches. Make the Labors of Hercules look like a Boy Scout Merit program.

Eradicate Evil! Devil
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4012 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10400 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6327 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 12978 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3195 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11355 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6524 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29779 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14867 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 46963 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician