Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study: the origin of morality
Study: the origin of morality
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/07/health/lif...pt=hp_bn17

Basically, the study is on the verge of confirming that morality existed before religion played a role in society and that society can function morally without religion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Study: the origin of morality
Morals are common sense in my opinion. The bible has numerous statements that point out bad things including, murder. We know these are not right. I have often had Christians tell me that without the 10 commandments they would not know how to behave. However, to not rape is not a commandment but most of us know that is wrong. Furthermore, they cannot take the commandments (the word of their god) to heart because many of them have images of christ on their walls at home, which breaches the 2nd commandment... oops!

I know how to behave, I have morals. But I am an Atheist. Must mean Atheists are much more advanced, because we don't need to be taught right from wrong in the same way.
Follow me on my new Twitter account by clicking here. I follow back all fellow Atheists to help spread our own opinions Smile

(May 11, 2013 at 1:05 am)DeardoG Wrote: Morals are common sense in my opinion. The bible has numerous statements that point out bad things including, murder. We know these are not right. I have often had Christians tell me that without the 10 commandments they would not know how to behave. However, to not rape is not a commandment but most of us know that is wrong. Furthermore, they cannot take the commandments (the word of their god) to heart because many of them have images of christ on their walls at home, which breaches the 2nd commandment... oops!

I know how to behave, I have morals. But I am an Atheist. Must mean Atheists are much more advanced, because we don't need to be taught right from wrong in the same way.

You were given morals just like Christians were, they are God given, it takes man to believe he came up with morals by his little lonesome.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
If morals are god given, then we can just throw the ten commandments in the trash, right?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
You can do all the evil shit you want as long as you don't insult god and hurt his feelings if you say you're sorry. IF society ran on those morals we'd run ourselves into the ground.
[Image: american-flag-banner.jpg]
(May 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm)Godschild Wrote: You were given morals just like Christians were, they are God given, it takes man to believe he came up with morals by his little lonesome.

Pitticus of Mytilene said "Do not do to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." He predates your alleged godboy by at least 5 centuries.
(May 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If morals are god given, then we can just throw the ten commandments in the trash, right?

The Ten Commandments are a reminder of our God given morals and that we are to act upon those morals in obedience to God.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm)Godschild Wrote: You were given morals just like Christians were, they are God given, it takes man to believe he came up with morals by his little lonesome.

10 commandments tell us nothing of many morals adopted by the human race, yet we still interpret these as morals. You can attach the word god to anything and call it his word, it not does make it so.
Follow me on my new Twitter account by clicking here. I follow back all fellow Atheists to help spread our own opinions Smile

Who needs a study to determine that? The origin of morality isn't mysterious at all. Morality originates in self-interest. Most people don't want to be murdered or robbed, so murder and robbery come to be considered, by the public as taught by their philosophers, immoral. A society's philosophy usually becomes enforced by the criminal law, but the original principles are moral values.

Morality is entirely subjective. What's moral today wasn't moral in times past, and what's moral somewhere else is immoral here---and vise-versa. Only the provincial bigot thinks he and his society have the market cornered on morality. The ancient Greeks were deeply concerned with issues of morality, as were Buddha and Confucius.
(May 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(May 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If morals are god given, then we can just throw the ten commandments in the trash, right?

The Ten Commandments are a reminder of our God given morals and that we are to act upon those morals in obedience to God.

Yes, because stoning children to death because they disagree with us is oh so moral. Jerkoff

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 9760 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1039 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Options for origin of universe Kingpin 31 6319 August 5, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5242 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11165 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1467 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Science vs Morality Mozart Link 96 12677 July 7, 2014 at 8:36 am
Last Post: LostLocke
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1048 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2178 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3757 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood