Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AtheistForums.org History & Transparency
AtheistForums.org History & Transparency
Please accept my apologies if this topic has already been discussed.

I am very interested in the history and the background of this forum; I hope we're okay to discuss this. From what I have observed thus far, I assume that Tiberius, as he is a highly academically qualified and experienced IT professional, is the founder and the "master" administrator of the forum. I also assume that Tiberius purchased the domain name "AtheistForums.org" (a quick Whois Lookup states that it was purchased in 1995) and oversees everything as regards the web server hardware, the web server software (do you use Apache HTTP server?), and the MyBB PHP/MySQL forum software, as well as the forum's administrative duties.

Am I correct with my assumptions?
RE: AtheistForums.org History & Transparency
I joined 2 years ago... anything prior to that isn't important.
Cunt
(May 14, 2013 at 4:07 pm)Love Wrote: From what I have observed thus far, I assume that Tiberius, as he is a highly academically qualified and experienced IT professional, is the founder and the "master" administrator of the forum.
I founded the original forum (atheistforum.com) with an acquaintance about a year before this one. It basically sat around doing nothing for ages, and then a community started to form. However, the guy who actually owned the domain sold it without telling me, hence why we all moved here.

I'm by no means the "master" administrator though. I can get overruled/outvoted just like any other member of staff.

Quote:I also assume that Tiberius purchased the domain name "AtheistForums.org" (a quick Whois Lookup states that it was purchased in 1995)
Really? My lookup states 2007, which is when I bought it. I don't think I remember purchasing any domain names when I was 7. Tongue

Quote:and oversees everything as regards the web server hardware, the web server software (do you use Apache HTTP server?), and the MyBB PHP/MySQL forum software, as well as the forum's administrative duties.
Pretty much. We used to use Apache, but Apache is bloated and terrible. Now we use nginx. Administrative duties not relating to the server are carried out by our four Administrators.
(May 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm by no means the "master" administrator though. I can get overruled/outvoted just like any other member of staff.

I apologise if I overstated there somewhat.

(May 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Really? My lookup states 2007, which is when I bought it. I don't think I remember purchasing any domain names when I was 7. Tongue

I don't know what happened there. I looked it up in "who.is" and it definitely stated 1995; I obviously missed a word out or typed an incorrect domain suffix (or something). I have checked it again and it does, indeed, state 2007 (and it is in your name). I did think 1995 was rather strange!

(May 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Pretty much. We used to use Apache, but Apache is bloated and terrible. Now we use nginx. Administrative duties not relating to the server are carried out by our four Administrators.

I must say that the forum software (MyBB) is awesome, and you must also have great web server hardware (in combination with nginx) because this site runs very smoothly, indeed. Keep up the good work. Clap I will make a donation shortly.

I have actually never heard of "nginx", so I will check that out.
http://nginx.com
http://nginx.org

Very powerful web server if you can configure it correctly.

According to their site, some big names (Facebook, Hulu, WordPress, etc.) use it.
(May 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: http://nginx.com
http://nginx.org

Very powerful web server if you can configure it correctly.

According to their site, some big names (Facebook, Hulu, WordPress, etc.) use it.

Cool. Cool Shades

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek is the worst entertainment made in US history Sanau 18 1721 March 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Star Trek Fans on AF.org vulcanlogician 66 4546 March 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheistforums.org sucks... FirstPoet 20 2652 December 24, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  history of the entire world, i guess Edwardo Piet 11 2592 May 27, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Name the skeptic or atheist, history trivia. Brian37 17 2524 April 13, 2017 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
Tongue AF.org Q&A Tag! SteelCurtain 48 8606 February 22, 2017 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Help with petition on change.org purplepurpose 8 1480 August 5, 2016 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  the boss checked my computer history and saw AF drfuzzy 64 7591 April 28, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Society
  Fun Times in #atheistforums Tiberius 233 86467 October 6, 2015 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Violet
  How much pre-joining lurking did you do before you joined AF.org? Whateverist 35 4096 August 30, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: AFTT47